jot s asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 decade ago

I poured a bottle of Hydroxylic Acid down the drain. Will this hurt the environment?

I know now that pouring chemicals down the drain is bad for the environment. Is Hydroxylic Acid harmful? It didn't seem that harmful at first glance.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You should never use your drains as a way of disposing of things. All our water eventually ends up back in our drinking water supply. Every city has a hazardous waste drop off location, many even have pick up service. Go to www.earth911.com to find your local hazardous waste facility. Just because something isn't corrosive doesn't mean it is ok for the environment. Most household cleaners, garden fertilizers, pesticides, paints, solvents etc can't be put down the drain or in your garbage. Batteries, fluorescent bulbs and electronics are also hazardous waste and can't be put into the garbage can.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I poured a bottle of Hydroxylic Acid down the drain. Will this hurt the environment?

I know now that pouring chemicals down the drain is bad for the environment. Is Hydroxylic Acid harmful? It didn't seem that harmful at first glance.

Source(s): poured bottle hydroxylic acid drain hurt environment: https://tr.im/usdw2
  • binnix
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Hydroxylic Acid

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/uDjiy

It is a good idea to dilute acid before pouring it down the drain. When diluting acid always add acid slowly to water. Do not add water to the acid. I don't know the strength of the sulfuric acid that you have, but I would suggest adding 1 part acid to 20 parts water before pouring it down the drain.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • slaps
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

deadly hydroxylic acid! that stuff can dissolve almost anything!

Now, of course, my house is kind of like a laboratory, so I have hydroxylic acid on tap. I send it down the drain, but then, I have specialized drains designed to handle that kind of chemical. Even though they are designed to handle it, I still have to call the plumber every once in a while to to fix it.

Of course, hydroxylic acid is the untold story of acid rain. Rain in certain locals (such as down wind from big farms and factories) has amazingly high concentrations of hydroxylic acid. I think that may be the worse problem as far as environmental contamination is concerned.

• 1 decade ago

A little won't hurt, plumbers have been using acid to clear the drains for years. Just don't do it all the time.

Source(s): Ex plumber.
  • 1 decade ago

If it hasn't been too long, you should pour some hydrogen hydroxide down the drain to neutralize it.

ETA:

Whoosh! To whoever gave me the thumbs down!

And slaps is right. Given the high levels of hydroxolic acid in the air leading to acid rain, it is silly to worry about a little down the drain.

• Nata T
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

you should always neutralize and filter hydoxylic acid. I usually mix 1 part ethanol with 2 parts hydroxylic acid and then filter the mixture through my liver and kidneys.

Hope this helps.

• 6 years ago

I love a cold glass of dihydrogen monoxide when I'm thirsty!!

• 1 decade ago

Mother nature does that all the time.Acids neutralize bases to make the oceans salty.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.