Should pressure be applied to gunshot wounds to the chest or abdomen.?

was watching the "Neda" video (video of a young Iranian women dying after being shot in the chest by a sniper) and I noticed that the 2 people who were trying to help/save her immediately covered the gunshot wound with their hands;applying pressure to stem the bleeding. From preventing her from... show more was watching the "Neda" video (video of a young Iranian women dying after being shot in the chest by a sniper) and I noticed that the 2 people who were trying to help/save her immediately covered the gunshot wound with their hands;applying pressure to stem the bleeding.

From preventing her from exanguinating have caused the blood to pile up in her lungs and thoracic cavity , causing her to die faster?

Im not a doctor nor a med student but I had a really good Medical Science teacher which is why Im using all of these technical terms :)