My nephew exhibits 90% of the signs & symptoms of A(H1N1) but his parents are kind of in a "state of denial"..?

and dismisses it as another one of those regular asthma attacks which runs in the family.

My nephew has been lethargic, vomiting, irritable, has difficulty breathing, on and off fever, cough, and shows flu-like symptoms!

I'm afraid of the POSSIBILITY that he may be carrying the swine flu virus but his own parents don't care at all.

Our family lives in one compound and it would be very easy to spread the virus to every household member if indeed my fears turn out to be true.

What should I do?

I live in this part of my country (Philippines) where it's expected that most government authorities that lead our community do not even know how to handle such case. Even at the local community school, where it has already been reported that several students are getting sick everyday, no action is being done by the School Head. No monitoring, no recording, no investigation on the sick pupils being done. Everyone seems to be in denial of the possibility it may happen in our own community! The teachers are reminding the pupils to wash their hands regularly, that is all. And no action being done on the sick students who opt to stay at home without proper monitoring and health check up. Still, what if?? That sick child may still spread the virus to his/her family members without knowing it.

Anyway, to make matters worse, if I decide to tell someone of my worries about my nephew, for sure it would create a big fight between me and my sister-in-law which I do not want to happen (if possible) because it will affect the whole family!

What should I do? Help.

I forgot to add, my nephew's mother works in a medical clinic where she's exposed to all kinds of virus everyday. His father travels to and from Manila where the first victim of the A(H1N1) in this country occurred just yesterday .

Procol Harum: I never said my nephew HAS the virus. I said what he exhibits are symptoms of the virus. symptoms, symptoms!!!

I am not a doctor but I am worried for the other members of the family (young & old) of the POSSIBILITY! that is why i want his parents to be more sensitive of his state of health and bring him to the doctor for the proper health care and diagnosis.

did you read the whole thing, btw?

you are sarcastic and i don't like it.

• Noname
    Favorite Answer

You should take him to the hospital. Its better to seek professional help.

Just don't be scared about it. The media was exaggerating things again.

You should worry more about dengue its more real life threatening.

-----

If your worries are true and something bad happened, you will blame yourself on that. Better risk to be in a fight with your sister-in-law. Its a human life we are talking here.

----

God Bless..

• Symptoms of swine influenza are the same as those of seasonal influenza, and can include:

*cough

*fever

*sore throat

*stuffy or runny nose

*body aches

*headache

*chills

*fatigue

*nausea and vomiting

What is concerning about swine flu is that, unlike seasonal flu, which is typically most dangerous to the very young, elderly, and those with a weakened immune system, swine flu can also be life-threatening to young, healthy people.

Because the symptoms of swine flu closely mimic those of seasonal flu, only a lab test can determine for sure whether you have the 2009 H1N1 swine flu. To test for swine flu, your doctor will collect a sample from your nose or throat.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to suggest to the child's parents to take the child to a hospital to be check so preventative measures can be taken as early as possible.

Don`t worry my eight year old nephew had H1N1 and he was fine after two days. He has even Asthma. It is a huge scare but not as threatening as the media might want you to believe it is. If your Nephew develops a Fever try medication but be aware that it can get very high. If, take him to the Emergency Room immediately. But if you are worried about spreading make him wear a mask. In our Household of eight one kid got sick and even the three year old with Asthma is fine.

Quick, slap yourself really hard across the face. You are getting hysterical for nothing. You have a better chance of getting killed in the street by a jeepney than you have of dying from the H1N1 flu virus. Better you spend your time swatting mosquitoes to prevent dengue fever. The biggest news about this particular flu is that it is new and therefore as humans we do not yet have immunities from catching it like the hundreds of past flu's are forefathers encountered that we resist everyday. But a mortality rate of .0005% is very little for you to be concerned about. And most likely in the future when they know more information about this virus, if the mortality rate holds true, parents will be bringing their children together to all get sick at the same time and be done with it as they did with the measles and mumps in the past.

Source(s): World Health Organization

Take the kid to the hospital just to be sure. You can just take him there for a check up. It doesn't necessarily mean you're confining him there.

My friend brought her sister to the hospital last Saturday just because her sister had on and off fever for 3 days. Prevention is better than cure. I'd rather take the wrath of my sis in law and every single member of my family than have that constant worry for the kid and every one else who might get sick.

It's best if you could take the child to the best hospital in your place instead of the local clinic.

You better report this to the Department of Health so that they will attend to your nephew and to all the people in your compound.

Do it now! Surf the internet and inform DOH about it.

You're so gifted that you can tell that someone else kid has H1N1 virus. What qualifies you to make that diagnosis?

You asked "What should I do?"

You should mind your own business and stop hatin on your sister-in-law.

u better do something for the lil kid. take him to a hospital get him checked. just to make sure u know.