I just bought a house.. when can i get the $8000 tax credit?

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    I assume you're in the United states and simply posted the question in the wrong category.

    If you already filed your 2008 tax return, then you have 2 options.

    1. File form 1040-X to amend your taxes and add the credit. This must be done by mail and takes 8-12 weeks according to the IRS, however actual reports are that it is taking 16 weeks or more before most people see a check. There's no way to track the progress online.

    2. Wait and claim the credit on your 2009 taxes. This is the easiest option but it means waiting longer for the money.

    If you have not yet filed your 2008 tax return, then you can claim it on your 2008 taxes without having to do an amendment.

  • 1 decade ago

    Assuming that this supposed to be under "United States".....

    1) Wait until you file your 2009 tax return next year, or;

    2) Amend your 2008 tax return and get your money in 12-16 weeks.

  • MadMan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    It is only for US residents, not UK tax payers. If you have put this question in the wrong section, then you can either amend your 2008 tax return or wait until you do your 2009 tax return. The attached site has all the details that you will need.

  • Panda
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    US residents only, claim it on the next tax season. you'll have to wait awhile to get it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.