Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

would I have a chance of getting accepted to an Ivy league with these credentials?

Freshman year-

English I Honors- B and B (semester grades)

Algebra I- A and A

Orchestra- A and A

Adventure- A

Biology- B and B

World history- A and A

French II- B and B

Public speaking- B

GPA - 3.571/3.428

Extracurriculars- Viola, track, skiing

Sophomore year-

Info processing- A

English II honors- B and B

Geometry Honors- B and B

Orchestra- A and A

Aquatic biology- A

Human Anatomy and physiology- A

Genetics- A

AP human geography A and A

French III C and B

GPA - 3.571/3.714

Extracurriculars- Viola, Tri-M music honor society (couldn't do track because it conflicted with orchestra which is more important to me), skiing

Junior Year-

AP Literature and composition- A and A

AP Biology- A and A

AP U.S. History- A and A

Chemistry- A and A

Zoology- A

US Economics- A

Orchestra- A and A

Algebra II Honors- B and B

GPA - 4.28/4.28

Extracurriculars- Viola (first chair), Tri-M, continental league honor orchestra, skiing

Summer class U.S government- A (took to have more room for AP classes)

Senior year (Starting in the fall so he re's my schedule and my expected grades)

AP Language and composition- A and A

AP psychology- A and A

AP chemistry A, A and A (takes up two class periods second semester)

Orchestra- A and A

Trigonometry Precalculus Honors- A and A

Physics- A and A

Gym- need for graduation, haven't chosen class yet- A

GPA - 4.28/4.42 (more AP credit second semester due to Chemistry

Extracurriculars- Orchestra (first chair viola), Continental league Honor orchestra, Tri-m music honor society, All State Orchestra, community service, skiing,

Final:

GPA 3.98 (weighted)

ACT -30 (33 in reading, 31 in math, 30 in science, 25 in english)

Awaiting SAT and SAT II scores

class rank 25 out of 400

extras;

neither of my parents graduated from college (one dropped out of high school, the other from college)

relatively difficult upbringing (I mention this because I heard it can help)- long story short my mother went crazy, showed up once every few days, drank a lot, uncountable number of police incidents including multiple ones where she falsely accused my brother and father of felonies (assault with a weapon, destroying private property etc.) resulting with them being temporarily incarcerated. Through a bitter divorce that left our family close to bankruptcy they separated. She is currently incarcerated waiting for trial for arson and vehicular assault.

I Attend one of the best public high school in the state of Colorado (scored a 10 out of 10 on the assessments compared to the 2's scored by the other city schools)

Im a Caucasian male

*I would want to major in biology (took every life science class my school offered and almost all the earth sciences ones) and either double major in musical performance (viola) or minor in it.

based off of this what schools could I get accepted to? Are Ivy leagues an option?

If I applied to 5 or 6 Ivy league schools would I have a decent chance of being accepted to one?

P.S sorry for the long explanation i just wanted an accurate answer

• drip
    Favorite Answer

All colleges only accept unweighted GPA's. You have a lot of B's in your transcripts. Even with an ACT score of 30 I would say you chances are just a maybe. You better apply to other college too.

You got to understand most ivy league school have an acceptance rate of 11% or less. Harvard's is 9%. Yale had 19,323 students apply and only 1,911 were accepted. They take the best of the best. And that means there will be plenty of students with transcripts as good or better than yours.

Source(s): Newsweek How To Get Into College 2009

Honestly? Probably not. What I would do is get into the best second tier school you can and when there, work your butt off! Get impressive grades, get to personally know professors that will later be able to give you good recommendations and get involved in extra-curricular activities you care about. In four years, if you still care about getting into ivy league, you can apply to an ivy league graduate school when you have your undergraduate degree and better credentials .You will have a much more realistic chance of being accepted then. Good Luck!!

Yes. Your grades are really good, you've got extracurriculars, just make sure your essay is good. And do well on your entrance exams. :] Good luck.