Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

What are the odds of my children inheriting these disorders?

My fiance and I were in the process of planning our wedding, when he told me his father and aunt have a seizure disorder; presumably from his paternal grandmother, because his father and aunt have different fathers. Now, my fiance also has an aunt (on his mother's side) that has Downs Syndrome. I am concerned about possibly passing something onto my future children. What are the odds of my children inheriting one or both of these disorders?

Favorite Answer

Down Syndrome isn't something that is inherited, and seizure disorders rarely are. So very low.

If you really are concerned you could talk with a geneticist. But as far as I can tell, there probably is no need to.

well, you need to find out the exact names of the so called 'seizure disorder' and then google them to find out more info. Downs syndrome is not inherited. It is mainly from a mother being OLDER than usual (over 40) and ALSO amniocentesis will cause Downs Syndrome so whatever happens do not let stupid doctors stick a needle in your womb to test fluid for downs syndrome and tell you that you healthy baby needs to be aborted. They are idiots.

Most people dont know this about amniocentesis because they think doctors are God!

Very low.

Seizure disorders are rarely inherited. Down's Syndrome is not an inherited disorder, either.

If you are truly concerned, make an appointment with a geneticist.

All the best.

Downs Syndrome (the most common kind) is not hereditary, so no need to worry there.

The seizure disorders.... it depends what kind. Those can be hereditary but most disorders are NOT genetic, so again, no major worries.

If you truly are concerned, you could speak with your doctor about it before starting a family of your own.

It's possible but unlikely.

We actually have both in our family and those two people are the only ones who have it.