blood pressure pills make me sick but dont even bring it down, why do i have this, nothing brings it down?

ive had high blood pressure for about 5 years, ive tried to take blood pressure pills but they only make me sick after a few days, but even then they dont bring it down. do you have any suggestions on what are why i have high blood pressure?

Favorite Answer

Here is a great report on BP medications from the Journal of the American Medical Association

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/289.19.2...

It is intense and complicated and intended for medical professionals. But it should help. And there are many, many types of drugs to lower BP. Often combination's of several drugs are needed.

Hopefully the right combination will have few side effects but if they do the side effects might be treatable or will go away with time.

I do know of a drug that is often considered a drug of last resort. It is probably not known to most doctors (certainly not to most GP's) for BP treatment. The drug is Tramadol. Several studies have shown it to be very effective for many people (some people also have higher BP). I would try everything else first before considering it but it has been shown to lower BP (often drastically). But it is a pain killer. It is not a controlled substance but it has a slight risk of addiction so it is not ideal and it is a very off label use. I have taken Tramadol for pain and my BP (normally great- I'm 23) drops to a level that can be a bit concerning.

Good luck

Source(s): I am a medical student with a specialist degree (Hons. BSc) in Pharmacology with a focus on psychopharmacology. I have interned under two psychiatrists and one neurologist. In addition I have worked as a pharmacy assistant.
  • Teresa

exercise, exercise, exercise. That is as natural as it gets. Start slow. Alternate power walking for 5 min. with jogging for 15 - 30 seconds, for a total of 25 minutes. Every week or two decrease the walkin time and increase the jogging time. ie. Walk for 4.5 minutes jog for 1 min. Before you know it, you will be jogging the whole 25 min. Garlic is a natural blood thinner. Add it to your food, or buy the capsules (1000 mg). Ginger regulates blood flow. KEEP IN MIND. Herbal remedies are not regulated by the FDA, food and drug administration. So: 1. keep you doctor informed of all herbal remedies you are supplementing with 2. Buy those that are USP approved.

there are lots of meds out there, you just have to try different ones until your doctor finds the right one for you. My husband had to try 3 different ones until they got the right dosage, and pills.

Good Luck