yes, cadmium colors are highly carcinogenic, so much so that in the 70's Congress had to be lobbied to prevent their total elimination. However, there is absolutely no danger at all from being in a room with them. The danger is from absorption or ingestion. If you touch your eyes, nose, mouth or get lots on your hands with solvent you can ingest/absorb unhealthy amounts. The simple solution is take frequent hand washing breaks, never eat or drink without washing thoroughly first, don't rub your eyes, pick your nose and NEVER< NEVER, assume the " idiot artist thinking deeply" pose where you rest the brush handle against your chin or mouth while you ponder your brilliance. The real danger is from being in a room for extended periods of time with solvents - mineral spirits (even odorless) or turpentine. These (unlike paints which are innert and only smell of the seed oils with which they are ground) are highly volitile, evaporate into the air quickly and can cause rapid vasoldilation of the brain capillaries, lung scaring and accute bronchial inflamation. So....paints - only dangerous if you rub your eyes, mouth and drill at your nose...solvents, much worse than second hand smoke and NYC pollution. Minimze the use of solvents, keep them covered between dips, use a ventilator with solvent rating if you can't work with all the windows open and discard (out doors!) anything moistened with solvent, close all containers securely and air out the place when you finish a session.