peanut asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 decade ago

why am I not being refunded my morgage insurance premium of 1900.00 when I pay off my FHA loan?

Best Answer

You should be. On your mortgage payoff papers, there should be a pro rata return of the PMI.

You'll need to ask to have that calculated. Normally, it's considered part of the escrow calculations, and with your mortgage paid off, you're entitled to a final accounting of that escrow account.

Are you even eligible? From FHA website:

Premium Refund: You may be eligible for a refund of a portion of the insurance premium if you:

acquired your loan after September 1, 1983

paid an up-front mortgage insurance premium at closing and

did not default on your mortgage payments.

Review your settlement papers or check with your mortgage company to determine if you paid an up-front premium.

There are number of time limits--eg, must have paid it off in less than 3, 5 or 7 years:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/comp/refunds/fhafac...

If you just paid off the house (no refi), you need to apply for the refund through www.hud.gov.

If you streamlined your loan into another FHA loan, you'll see a refund netted off your new loan. Keep in mind, the $1900 is pro-rated, by the month. The refund schedule can also be found at the above website.

• car253

Are you talking about your PMI? Or homeowners insurance?

You might repost your question under "real estate".

And the same question shows up again

Did you ask your lender?