This really bothers me.?

Someone posted a thread asking something along the lines of "Christians, if there was no God would it really matter?" and I saw some posts saying that there would be no meaning in life. I also saw other threads asking atheists why they are "good" if they don't have religion. Does anyone else see this as a serious problem? Religion is being used to give life meaning and to give incentives for being good.... Whatever happened to fulfilling your dreams, making close relationships, enjoying the pleasures of life and just making mankind better? It scares me that people seriously think that it takes religion to be good...

Best Answer

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. - Albert Einstein

Research shows that the reason humans struggle with emotion to find equitable solutions is pinpointed the region of the brain called the insular cortex, or insula, which is also the seat of emotional reactions.

The fact that the brain has such a robust response to unfairness shows that sensing unfairness is a basic evolved capacity.

The emotional response to unfairness pushes people from extreme inequity and drives them to be fair. This observation shows our basic impulse to be fair isn't a complicated thing that we learn.

It therefore fully illustrates that all humans have morals controlled by the brain and that Christians are entirely wrong to try and claim morals as their own!!!!

But Christians found a way round it!!

Government statistics show that christians are vastly over represented in prisons for sexual, violent and fraudulent crime!!

The Catholic church is paying millions in compensation for the sex/pedophile crimes of their priests alone!!

Christians are vastly over represented in the divorce courts!!

Christians invented the concept of sin and then the idea that you could sin, ask forgiveness, get pardoned and start with a clean sheet!!

So no surprise that they are so expert at it is it?!!!

Source(s): California Institute of Technology

Is there something wrong with finding meaning in life and having incentives for being good?

Dont you find meaning in your life and havent you been taught that being good brings good things into your life?

If someone uses religion as their meaning or their reasons for being good how is that any diff than any reasons you might have if you are non religious?

I dont think very many people actually believe that religion is the ONLY way anyone can find meaning in their life or be good, but its just as good as any other reason you might come up with for your own meaning in life or reasons for being good.

Dont take the words of a few and apply them to everyone. I find a lot of what some people, in every group, on here say a little scary, but I dont assume everyone else that believes like them has come to the same conclusions.

It bothers me too. I'm not a religious person, but I am a good person. By the same token, I don't put people down for being religious. I live by the creed of "live and let live" and I believe "The Golden Rule" is a very good rule to live by.

I don't think Religion should be a tool someone should use in order to threaten or control another human being. Unfortunately, this seems to be the "norm" in Organized Religion.

Being non-affiliated works for me. :)

Most religion is an institution used to control the masses, now believing in a higher power is not a bad thing I personally think your relationship within yourself and with mother earth is essential for a peace of mind.

Source(s): I'm not an expert and I could very well be wrong, I just know my contact with nature gives me my peace of mind in this screwed up crazy world. Take care.

If life is without God, what purpose does it have? I agree with those who say that it does matter.

What pleasure can one take in something that can be taken away from you in an instant? What good is something that can not last forever? Seventy or eighty years is nothing but a drop in the bucket of time. Compared to eternity, it is nothing.

The things you speak of are all vanity...nothing more.

The biggest concern is whether anything matters in this world except Power--or not.

The hypothesis of God puts the power of Love on the side of goodness, hope, and positive transformation; and puts the power of Coercion (as in rape, totalitarian governments, manipulative religious practices, addiction, anything properly labeled as demonic activity, etc.) on the side of evil.

Christianity is supposed to operate out of the power of Love, but (alas) often is corrupted into the power of Coercion.

It might be helpful to look at this spiritual question in a form stripped of all the religious "stuff." The Twelve Steps do this. Consider the first three:

1. We admitted we were powerless over [addictive substance here]—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood God.

(Disclaimer: The twelve-step programs "take no position on outside issues," including on religion and politics. Though a lot of 12-steppers might agree with what I am saying here, this is entirely my own take on things.)

Stripped of all the religious language, these three Steps are what the Christian faith is about--or, rather, this is the "personal" side of it. Christianity also has a "political," social transformation side, represented (for example) by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the civil rights struggles of the Sixties (though the Fundamentalists object very strongly to the "political" side).

The issue is muddied because religion can (and often does) act as an addictive substance.

There is "true" religion, and there is "false" religion. "True" religion is anything that fosters human transformation, whether personal or social/political, in positive ways that promote wholeness and healing.

"False" religion is anything that hinders positive human transformation, anything that keeps people or societies "stuck" in processes that demean or diminish them.

Anne Wilson Schaef identifies "gullibility" as one of several hallmark symptoms of a person being under the influence of an addictive system, and gullibility certainly applies to "false" religion.

Check out these resources, that discuss the differences between healthy and unhealthy forms of religious expression:

When God Becomes a Drug: Book 1; Understanding Religious Addiction & Religious Abuse, by Leo Booth

http://www.amazon.com/When-God-Becomes-Drug-Booth/...

The God Game: It's Your Move: Healing the Wounds of Religious Addiction & Religious Abuse by Father Leo Booth

http://www.amazon.com/God-Game-Healing-Religious-A...

When Society Becomes an Addict

by Anne Wilson Schaef

http://www.amazon.com/Society-Becomes-Addict-Wilso...

The Addictive Organization: Why We Overwork, Cover Up, Pick Up the Pieces, Please the Boss, and Perpetuate Sick Organizations

by Anne Wilson Schaef

http://www.amazon.com/Addictive-Organization-Overw...

Well If you have a religion you have reason to be good, so you don't go to hell, I guess. And if you don't then why should you be good?There is no threat set against one if they do not believe in god or hell. At least that seems to be how people think, I may be way off though...

• Sam G

me too

But not much we can do about it. Except to pass on acceptance. I live in a very religious area, and so many of my friends are Christian Fundamentalists, and I think that learning that I was not religious after having known me for a while changed their perspectives on irreligious people for the most part, although some of course just think I'm the exception to the evil irreligious.

No via fact it fairly is a lead into get your interest. What shop on with could complication me. Yours is smart. do no longer permit the little issues complication you. watch for larger stuff which you would be able to administration.

"I do not share the crusading spirits of the professional atheist whose furvor is mostly due to a painful axe of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth" - Albert Einstein