promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Where does "I don't like the jib of your suit" come from?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The only related expression I've heard is "the cut of your jib". If someone likes the cut of your jib, it means they appreciate the way you handle yourself. I think it comes from sailing jargon, a jib being a triangular staysail that assists in steering.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The phrase is "The cut of your jib" and can be either liked or disliked. .....a jib is a type of sail that was/is different depending on the country the boat came from.

Meaning

One's general appearance and demeanour.

Origin

cut of your jibThe jib of a sailing ship is a triangular sail set between the foretopmast head and the jib boom. Some ships had more than one jib sail. Each country had its own style of sail and so the nationality of a sailing ship, and a sailor's consequent opinion of it, could be determined from the jib.

The phrase became used in an idiomatic way during the 19th century. Sir Walter Scott used to it in St. Ronan's Well, 1824:

"If she disliked what the sailor calls the cut of their jib."

There may be an allusion between the triangular shape of noses and jibs in the figurative use of this phrase, but this isn't authenticated.

• 1 decade ago

i've never actually heard that before.. i HAVE heard of "i don't like the cut of your jib" which is a kinda odd way to say you don't like a person.

• well actually i heard that but when i asked him what does i mean.. he says i don't know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.