Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

What is the recommended starting size motorcycle for me?

I'm 5'10" weight 175lbs and don't have much experience on motorcycles. I am going to take a riding course prior to purchasing one, but what kind of size should I have in mind? I'm looking for a comfortable bike to ride and don't want any crotch rocket or anything like that.

Favorite Answer

I've been riding on a daily basis for 14 years, and have ridden bikes ranging from 80cc to 1340cc. In my experience, it is best to learn on a 250cc bike. They are fairly lightweight and low to the ground, so they are more manageable and comfortable for the new rider. Likewise, they have sufficient power for riding through town, on backroads, and even (for some models) on the highway. However, because of the smaller displacement of the engine, they are more forgiving when you twist the throttle. A 600cc bike will take off like a bullet when you crack the throttle, and that's not very conducive to a pleasant or safe experience for a new rider. It's important to learn throttle control on a machine that won't send you into a wall.

I've ridden a Honda Rebel (234cc parallel twin) and a Suzuki GZ250 (249cc single-cylinder engine). Other bikes available are the new Suzuki TU250 (similar 249cc powerplant as the GZ250, but it has fuel injection and "standard" styling) and the Yamaha/Star V-Star 250 (249cc v-twin engine). All these bikes are either cruisers or standards, feature air-cooled engines, and they have a low seat height. The Kawasaki Ninja 250 is a very fast (for a 250) sportbike which has a 249cc water-cooled parallel twin engine. The only drawback to the Ninja is that the valves MUST be adjusted every 5-6K miles, due to the high rpm's the engine spins.

Go to a few showrooms and sit on the bikes to see which ones are most comfortable. If you're taking the MSF course (or something similar) to obtain your license, try to secure a bike you're interested in trying out (as a possible future purchase). Personally, I was impressed with the handling characteristics of the Suzuki GZ250, despite it's mellow power output.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. Many people say that 250cc bikes are quickly outgrown, and the riders move on to faster, more powerful bikes. This isn't necessarily true, though. I currently own a 1985 Honda CB700SC, a 1995 Honda VT600CD Shadow, and a 1982 Honda CM200 Twinstar. The Twinstar has about 100,000 miles on it, and it's still the most fun bike to ride. Don't feel you need to start off on a big bike; get comfortable with the machine first, and then, as your skills improve, you can safely graduate to a larger bike if you so choose.

Good luck!

It depends on how you plan to use the bike. If it's just for around town, a 125 or 250 is plenty. If you want to go long distances at high speeds, 500 is a minimum. 500-650 is not too big to learn on, especially if you're taking the course.

When I learned to ride, 250cc was the 'standard' size. Experts in magazine used to say there was no reason a bike needed to be bigger than that. But that was in a day when motorcycles used the back roads, not the freeways. A 250 will cruise all day at 50. It will go 70, but not all day, it's beating its little heart out. And it's not comfortable or even safe at that speed because it's not really designed for it.

In those old days, the big, hot, hairy-chested bike was the Triumph Bonneville with 650cc and about 50 hp. Today that would be considered medium sized.

You want to be able to sit on a bike with both feet flat on the ground. At 5'10" that's not going to be a problem for you. Smaller bikes are easier to manage. Cruisers are also easier to manage, size for size, because they carry their weight lower. If you're looking for a -comfortable- bike, a cruiser might be just what you want.

After you finish the course, you'll have a better idea of what you want. I would say 500-650cc is a good middle ground.

No crotch rocket eh? OK, I was going to suggest a Kawasaki Ninja 250-500 but another standard bike could possibly be a 1979-1985 BMW r65. Mild mannered, easy to maintain will run forever and they have an awesome support group for whatever may go wonky. Plus you would have the ability to fit in with the sport bike, Harley and vintage crowd. Look for post 81 models and expect to pay about 2-3.5k for a good example. Round town or cross country you'll be ready! Parts are reasonable and available. A proper gentleman's bike. You won't have any buyers remorse on this model. go ahead and do a search on r65. You'll quickly get the idea.

i think of the muse of the contradiction is that as quickly as askers ask their question they almost all incorporate GSXR600, CBR600RR, R6 etc. interior the question and those motorcycles are, without worry of contradiction, no longer the excellent to benefit on, there are 600(or so) cc motorcycles which may make learner motorcycles and answerers frequently incorporate them of their reaction – SV650 is a widely used. I even tend to propose a smaller motorbike because of the fact even a a hundred twenty five is able to propelling a great rider at a useful velocity for a learner and provides very comparable driving journey as a 600 albeit at a decreased velocity. What i do no longer enroll in is the line that ‘you will advance out of it’ or ‘you will substitute into uninterested in it’ I an increasing form of suspect that those responses come from lack of expertise of driving a small motorbike or to maintain some form of masculinity neither of that's effective to the questioner. Nor do I enroll in the opinion that the learner has administration over his/her wrist and that it truly is their accountability, from own journey i understand that (even now) quicker or later i could choose to benefit the bounds of the engine and tyres – inspite of each and every thing that's what the motorbike is designed for, very genuine of the sportier 600s – having journey I a minimum of have some foreknowledge of what's going to ensue as quickly as I do and what my reactions could desire to be; and that i won't be able to propose all and sundry to objective it without that have.

Honda makes the Nighthawk 250 (CB 250) which is the bike you'll most likely use when you attend the Motorcycle Safety Institute riding course. It's 234cc, 85-90 mpg , & 77mph for $3599.00

Source(s): I've been riding motorcycles for 40 yrars....

I'm 5'5 and 120pounds and i started on a Honda Rebel. There pretty cheap and really good to learn on! And there only a couple thousand dollars. DO NOT get a harley to learn on, you will drop your first bike a lot so don;t get a really nice expensive bike until you know what your doing.