Is it normal for a cordless drill to emit a burning smell after buying a new battery?

I have a 19 volt Craftsman cordless drill which I have had for about 4 years. The original batteries needed replacing so I just bought a new Craftsman 19 volt battery for replacement. However, when I used the drill recently after about 15 minutes it started to emit a slight burning smell (no smoke) from the drill. I was not using the drill as often when the original batteries weakened, but when I did there was no smell. Could it be that the increased power from the new battery is causing it to burn off dust that could have settled inside the drill or is there a possible problem with the drill itself?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    I'm a tradesman and have used many power tools to me your Craftsman cordless drill seem to be biting the dust, because of the internal components are not made to last.

    I own a DEWALT XRP 510 unit watts like this one http://www.dewalt.com.au/powertools/productdetails...

    One day at work I was asked to drill some 25 3/8' holes into a concrete slab to take dyna bolts,I was working on a union site where if I used a power cord it needed to be off the ground for safety reasons on hook, I had a hammer drill to do this with a power cord but couldn't be hassled with finding a power point getting stands to keep the lead off the ground and so on.

    So I just used the dewalt, while drilling these holes the drill got so hot I had to stop 3 times to let the drill cool down before I could touch it again, no burnt smell and the drill never missed a beat that day or after. (The drill was still working 100%, it was me that couldn't take it being that hot)

    I asked a power tool service guy once what's the difference between expensive power tool and the rest, he told me the better power tools have metal parts which can't burn out or melt which gives you the burnt plastic smell,

    To answer your question I'd say the new battery is working the drill harder than it can take, if the battery was faulty I doubt your drill would even work IMO.

    Source(s): Carpenter and Joiner
  • 4 years ago

    A corded drill will be able to handle any task conceivable but a cordless would be more convenient. I bought the cheapest cordless that I could to drill out some rivets in a bedframe so that I could reposition the headboard bracket but it took forever to drill out those rivets, it would've taken just seconds with a corded drill but that cordless was simply not up to the task. It's since proven to be more than enough for all my occasional needs and short of having to find the charger and wait a few hours to get a charge when I want to do something, the convenience of cordless has been priceless. Being the cheapest possible, the batteries aren't removeable but I've opened up such devices and soldered in new batteries before so I'm not worried about the batteries dying an early death plus the price was so cheap I could probably just get another one.

  • Ranger
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    The smell of burning is not normal. Have the battery checked to see if it is shorting. If you have a volt meter, you can do it yourself. Charge the battery for 5 min. no more. Check for voltage, it should produce 19 volts. anything less indicates the battery is shorting.

    The inside of your battery is a batch of small batteries soldered together with nickel strips. Sometimes the small batteries are connected wrong and one shorts out. They can get hot and explode if one of the small batteries was installed wrong.

    Source(s): I rebuild my own batteries.
  • 1 decade ago

    Ranger is correct, there's no way a battery powered drill should get hot enough to produce a burning smell or burn off anything. I wouldn't use it as is. Do his check and then return the battery to wherever you bought it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.