Schizorexia? (Schizophrenia+Anorexia)?

Okay, lets say a person shows symptoms of both anorexia and schizophrenia. If they starve themself because they hear voices that tell them to and they have religious delusions about eating (ex: they will become holy/pure and get supernatural powers from God or some other spiritual force by starving, or keep themself from getting possessed by a demon if they starve)

And if the person truly believed that they would not die from starvation. Demonic visual hallucinations would also be included as well as paranoia. The person thinks that he/she is dirty or evil and must "cleanse" their body, even though he/she is a ridiculously scrupulous Christian. Often acts psuedo-saintly out of an irrational fear of being condenmed to Hell for all of eternity.

So what is this? Is it schizophrenia, anorexia, both? Some other disorder?

Sometimes the person would actually talk to food like it were a real entity.

Favorite Answer

It is possible to be diagnosed with both Schizophrenia and Anorexia Nervosa at the same time.

I never heard of that, but I do know of people being diagnosed with Major Depression or Bipolar Disorder in combination with Anorexia Nervosa.

I have heard of people with Schizophrenia having weird ideas about food. If the person also met criteria for Anorexia Nervosa, both could be diagnosed.

Source(s): Worked in mental health since 1987

It sounds like it could be anorexia, or an EDNOS. (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) I've heard stories about people hearing voices telling them not to eat; but they weren't schizophrenic. I'm not a professional with eating disorders nor schizophrenia, but I do know that this person should see a psychologist of some sort to be diagnosed and get treatment.

Source(s): Personal opinion and "knowledge"

It's not anorexia. It is not uncommon for schizophrenics to stop eating for various reasons, often because they are having hallucinations of bad odors coming from their food. It has also been known to happen where a person with OCD will develop an aversion to eating because they believe that their food is contaminated. Anorexia is something different. They are staving themselves because they are afraid of becoming fat and due to some perceived imperfection in their body.

I've been close to a person with a fairly identical explanation of the background and psychological basis for this type of ailment.

The person in question, a close friend, took years to even explain a single detail about the personal reality he/she was living in with supernatural / religious laws of nature or karma connotations, perceived repercussions of ordinary (often seemingly very inconsequential) human habits and such.

The more I got tidbits about it the more I understood that a diagnosis from another paradigm of mental illness where there is no supernatural, religious or otherwise exotic type of logic involved could probably not be very useful to my friend. That being said, I do not think the "diagnosis" or assessment and help should be based on such logic either.

I mostly haven't humored my friends supernatural ideas much but I think I've been able to do so a whole lot more than his/her psychiatrists have or would.

One of the reasons why he/she could not share his/her (heavily problematized and full of dilemmas) reality with me was because there was no common ground for bringing a supernatural and/or religious/spiritual aspect to the conversation I think.

Other aspects such as breaking an unwritten law of "consensual reality" (his/her own wording) and my "innoscence" have come up which I would never have thought of myself even though I wasn't as much helped to understand my friend at first as I was some sort of layman detective psychologist.

A lot of the breaking of the dam and solving the problem seems to have been in my friend being able to trust that I would not break from hearing him/her speak of the devil and years could go by when I was suspecting that there were other reasons why he/she couldn't share his/her thoughts with me, obvious as it was to me and everyone else that my friend was suffering from them.

Since then I have found some pretty valid observations that my friend was making in the actual reality and world around him/her, focusing on actual and valid problems.

Some fairly obvious (almost a bit captian-obvious like) and some very much not obvious (valid ones and delusional ones).

I've also been told how the transition from an "occult subject matter" to a similar and "real world" one, was very very helpful in releasing the pressure of existential crisis etc, with a common type of grammar where possible relating to the consequences of his/her actions on a personal or member-of-civilisation-type-of-level (my friend had a very very large scale understanding of the relevance of his/her actions and habits in a seemingly and evidently very exhausting way).

After my friend had someone to share some of his/her thoughts with, gradual but significant improvements to his/her mental health and behavioral patterns seemed to come naturally, or perhaps that it allowed him/her to focus on what we were trying to suggest he/she would focus on instead repeatedly.

I don't think my friend is still much on the same page about these things with his/her family as much as with me but I'm glad to see how the positive effects have made it easier on them.

I don't know if he/she has shared most of or half of what's going on in his/her head every minute of every hour of every day as he/she has put it but he/she is currently a much more functional and stable person and even though he/she still doesn't usually want to talk too much about these things I've been told it has helped a lot.

I am not a professional in this but have done a bit of reading on the internet about schizophrenia due to all this

But mostly I think what has helped me to understand his/her situation the most has been his/her own wordings and explanations of his/her fears such as fears of breaking rules of a "consensual reality" (his/her own term for it) type of concept, fears of the sheer subject matter being inevitably received as offensive/judgmental etc.

The situation currently is not that we share a very supernatural or old scripture-religious type of conversational matter (or maybe a bit) but that my friend's world has mixed a bit with ours (which he/she expected to happen at the expense of mine as he/she has explained) and it's been both educating to me (as much as amusing and sometimes definitely troubling) as helpful to him/her (not my observation but my friend's verdict).

Lastly I should say that the scope of focus (environmental issues, biblical sins and virtues, supernatural, multidimensional, demons and angels etc) has seemed very typical of my friend in terms of his/her earlier interests and I suspect his/her world and reality is somewhat painted with the colors of his/her interests leading up to these problems.

As far as I've read about schizophrenia I do think the label seems to fit fairly well but seeing how the reactions and measures provided by the mental health institutions my friend was in contact with (which I was close by to bystand most of and sit in on a few) in order to be helped compared to our quite unstructured and friend-to-friend conversations I am doubtful if in the case of my friend that such a diagnosis or an exclusively psychiatric care could ever make all of the solution if any of it.