MrsBernal asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Help about an Alaskan Malamute?

My husband wants an alaskan malamute but I heard that they don't listen, eat small animals such as cats, ferrets, and small dogs. Is this true?

xoxo

Steph

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Sha T
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

We had a Alaskan malamute before and he was an excellent family pet.

He was so loyal, so loving, so strong but gentle with the small kids in the family. Your husband has to start training him when he is young to make him listen. Our dog listened but it has to start early. Our dog was socialized as a pup around other dogs but when he became grown he still did not like any other male dogs. Our vet said if we had another family pet already when he was a pup that would have helped. But no our dog did not tolerate other male dogs. But he was the best dog we have ever had,or will ever have. He was really smart, he learned quickly, was really easy to house break, and walk on a leash. Although they do like to pull it's there natural instinct, so we got him a harness and started allowing him to pull us on our bikes, and on sleds in snow in the winter. He absolutely loved the winter it was like watching him do what he liked best, play in snow. In the summer he stayed indoors mostly under the fan or air. He only went out to use it. But in the fall and winter he lived out doors in his doghouse. We use to bring him in on nights that the weather man would say it was to cold for man or beast. And he would sit at the door and howl until we let him out. He never froze tho. He was a great dog. Your yard has to be fenced tho, because they like to run and will escape if given the chance when they are younger. As he mature he stop trying to escape. They love fish, and that was always a treat for him. He was very protective of us all he would growl when ever strangers approached our gate. But he was also very friendly. When ever we took him to the vet for shots, or check-ups the kids in the waiting area always loved to pet him and talk to him. Kids always said is he a wolf? We would laugh and say no, our dog on the other hand had a mind of his own. It's as if he knew what the kids were saying and he'd sit there looking as regal as he could. I have never noticed our dog even vaguely interested in small animals or cats.

He ate really good daily and we played with him and exercised him so he never showed any interest in small animals. When he died I could not sleep for about a month, and my neighbor she lost her appetite for a while. Because she and her husband were elderly people, and one day her husband got sick and fell out on the side of their house. I was not at home at the time, no was at our house, except the dog he was out side because it was wintertime and he would not stay indoors for prolonged periods And my neighbor keep a eye on him also. Well our dog kept howling and crying and she said she never heard him act that way before. So she got up to see why he was acting so crazy and discovered her husband past out in the snow bleeding from his head. She ran in her house and called 911 and our dog sat there the whole time watching her husband, and she said he was quite as a mouse. She said she just kept going to the gate that divided our houses saying thank you boy, you are such a good boy. Her husband only needed a few stitches and they found out he had low blood sugar. But they never forgot what he did. Every other day they were handing him snacks threw the gate. Our dog loved it, when he died, his name was Yukaiah. We all suffered a lost everyone in the neighborhood missed him, even the mailman cried, he said my old friend is gone, and he never caused me a days trouble. So if your husband wants a Malamute I say get one.

Yukaiah was the best dog we ever had. He loved to to for rides in the car, and loved water, he would take a bath every day in the summertime if we washed him. We loved him so much, his shedding in springtime never bothered us! I miss him so much. Alaskan Malamutes are my favorite breed of dog, because of him! Good luck......

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Proper training and socialization at a young age helps with making the dog listen and they will not eat small animals.

Find a breeder and ask them questions about the breed. Also, check out dogbreedinfo.com

All dogs need training to make them listen. You can't just get a pup or dog and expect it to listen to you right off the bat, it takes time and patience.

Think about if an Alaskan Malamute would fit your life style before getting one. Talk about the pros and cons of getting this particular breed. I can tell you that they will dig, climb fences and howl obnoxiously if not exercised and mentally stimulated on a regular basis. They will destroy your yard and home if not under a watchful eye when they are young-that's why training is such a key factor in owning any dog.

I got crates for all of my dogs when they were pups and that's where they are, other than in the yard, if I can't watch them, which happens sometimes becauseI have a daughter who's about to turn one year old.

Source(s): www.leerburg.com for help training your dog, doesn't matter what breed it ends up being, this site is very helpful to the first time dog owner and if you've ever owned dogs before.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Alaskan Malamutes MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by howling and destructive chewing. Young Alaskan Malamutes (up to about two years old) can be bulls in a china shop. When they romp and jump, they do so with great vigor, and things can go flying, including people. Most Alaskan Malamutes will not tolerate another dog of the same sex, and some won't tolerate the opposite sex either. Most Alaskan Malamutes have strong instincts to chase and seize cats and other fleeing creatures, including deer and livestock. Alaskan Malamutes are not Golden Retrievers. They have an independent mind of their own and are not pushovers to raise and train. Alaskan Malamutes shed a LOT. You'll find hair and fur all over your clothing, upholstery, carpeting, under your furniture, on your countertops -- even in your food. Unless you live way out in the boondocks and have no neighbors, Alaskan Malamutes should never be left outside in your yard, unsupervised. Alaskan Malamutes should never be left outside in your yard, unsupervised.

• Aduial
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well as with any dog you have to make them listen to you. It's true though that Malamutes have a stronger will than other dogs and a high prey drive but that doesn't mean that all Malamutes don't listen and eat small animals.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • johans
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

do a sprint learn. start up with the AKC web site and the Alaskan Malamute club of us of a. there's a great form of concepts online and a few great books available. do no longer base your determination on an internet communicate board! That being suggested: Mals are great canines, yet they have been more advantageous to be an arctic breed the place they had to think of for themselves. they are no longer ordinary to coach, quite for amateur vendors. attempting to rigidity one into doing some thing will backfire. Use constructive procedures and make the canine think of it replaced into his concept all alongside. unlike some breeds, the Mal would be greater probable to think of for himself somewhat of attempting to do despite it truly is you elect. they are clever sufficient to coach you somewhat of any other way around! Many tend to be dominant. Mals choose a great form of grooming and exercising, and you ought to use great care in the time of warmer climate. this isn't any longer a breed which you would be able to bypass away by myself interior the backyard or kennel all day. they're going to dig, bark, chew, and alter into truly detrimental if bored. you're able to desire to contain your puppy interior the kin, no longer bypass away it by using itself. Mals will bounce or climb fences just to teach they are able to. some tend to be canine aggressive. Many view smaller animals as prey and could hunt and/or kill rabbits, birds, squirrels, cats, etc. they are additionally companies to well being problems if offered from unreputable materials. Take some weeks (or greater) and do your learn. call and consult from a pair breeders. be sure you purchase from an excellent breeder somewhat of from a newspaper advert or a puppy save. this sort of breeder would be prepared to bypass to with you and provide help to recognize the experts and cons of the breed and examine no remember if this could be a competent in super condition for you. all and sundry who tells you this is the suitable canine for each guy or woman and that there are not any undesirable issues approximately it would not have your superb interest or the doggies' in innovations-- they are basically attempting to make a sale.

• 6 years ago

malamutes can eat mice - like miniature snousers do! get your regular rabies shots. depending on the dogs' life experiences, if (s)he is an older dog. a puppy you can teach to love life and its little creatures. it all depends on the owner and how the owner treats and teaches the dog. i've raised a lot of malamutes. some i taught to be social early in life and were very social the rest of their life. some had to learn social skills later life, and with practice got good at meeting other dogs and people. if you need to discipline, you need to learn how NOT to feed the dogs unwanted instincts, to "domesticate" the dog. dogs become pets by teaching, caring, and knowing where and who is "home"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.