Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

what does "plead the fifth" mean?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

In American criminal law, "taking the Fifth", also known as "pleading the Fifth" or "commanding the fifth", is the act of refusing to testify under oath in a court of law or any other tribunal (such as a Congressional committee) on the ground that the answers that would be given could be used as ...

• 4 years ago

In American criminal law, "taking the Fifth", also known as "pleading the Fifth" or "demanding the fifth", is the act of refusing to testify under oath in a court of law or any other tribunal (such as a Congressional committee) on the ground that the answers that would be given could be used as evidence against the witness to convict him or her of a criminal offense. Although similar to the right to remain silent when being questioned by law enforcement officers, and coming from the same source, namely the Fifth Amendment in the Bill of Rights, the right to refuse to answer when under oath has a longer history than Miranda rights.

• 1 decade ago

In American criminal law, "taking the Fifth", also known as "pleading the Fifth" or "demanding the fifth", is the act of refusing to testify under oath in a court of law or any other tribunal (such as a Congressional committee) on the ground that the answers that would be given could be used as evidence against the witness to convict him or her of a criminal offense. Although similar to the right to remain silent when being questioned by law enforcement officers, and coming from the same source, namely the Fifth Amendment in the Bill of Rights, the right to refuse to answer when under oath has a longer history than Miranda rights

-Wikipedia

• 1 decade ago

HAHA.

I bet you saw that other guys question.

Idk the definition or anything, but basicaly it's usuing your rights to not have to say anything when you're in a sticky situation.

Did you eat the last cookie? I plead the fifth.

Did you cheat on me? I plead the fifth.

ETC.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Pleading rights of the 5th Amendent.

:D

Source(s): First thing that went in mind.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you offer the judge a fifth of jack daniels to rule in your favor.

• 1 decade ago

It's an expression people will say when they'd rather not answer the question that they were asked.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

refusing to testify against yourself in a court of law.

• 1 decade ago

not answering any legal Qs

right to remain silent

• 1 decade ago

it means you refuse to responde because what you say may hurt you

it is our fith amendmet right

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.