rcjh asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Cydia vs. Icy -- And how I should go about jailbreaking a OS 3.0 ipod touch?

First off, what will be the differences between Icy and Cydia? I know Icy is supposed to be faster and lighter and what not, but will I be able to install the same packages with Icy as I currently am with Cydia?

Second, I have a 2.2.1 jailbroken ipod touch. I used redsn0w and am now looking to buy the OS 3.0 software update but not until I know I will be able to successfully jailbreak it and SSH into it so I can install cracked apps (I don't just want to install Instalulous or AppSync or what ever the auto downloaders are for safari on your ipod). I know quickpwn has software out already but it is beta and only supports first gen touches and iphones. So Should I just wait until the "sn0w" hackers come out with their jailbreak, still using cydia? Or try quickpwn's beta and Icy?

Something else that just came to mind... when I update to the new OS, Cydia (and all my cracked apps should still be there)? So will it matter which jailbreak I use because after I have jailbroken it, it should all work again anyway?

If you can't tell, I'm a little confused as to what to do and I might have some information completely wrong. If so, please correct me and help me out with what I should do.

Favorite Answer

On 3.0 I prefer Icy, hands down.

Cydia has bricked my phone 4 times so far causing me to have to restore, I have never had this problem with icy. It is also faster and offers all the packages you can get with Cydia a long as you have all the same sources.

Don't get me wrong, I love cydia and used it almost exclusively with 2.2.1, but until Saurik can work out whatever problem is causing my phone to brick (which seems to happen everytime I update the software) I am sticking to Icy.

Pwnage tool can jailbreak 3.0 iPod software but only for the 1G model. If you have the 1G, you are fine. If you have a 1G iPhone, go for it. If you have a 2G, wait.

It shouldn't matter what jailbreaking you use, they all do the same thing, put custom firmware on the iPod. You won't have your Cydia apps after you update unless you use AptBackup.

I think I answered all of your questions.

Source(s): I have been 'pwning' my iPhones for over a year on all 3 major OS.

Hacking the iPod touch isn't unlawful. at an identical time as Apple could choose to make you think of it truly is unlawful, this isn't any longer, and it truly is impossible to get in any legal hardship for hacking it. You and Apple made an substitute. You gave Apple £250 or so and that they gave you an iPod. it truly is formally yours and you will do despite you elect with it. it truly is unlawful to place up copyrighted code, such because of the fact the working device of the iPod touch and the iPhone, on the internet. yet you gained’t be doing that in case you elect to hack your device.