Question Regarding Becoming Informed On Other Religions.?

If your local Vocational School offered classes on religions other than yours, would you take the classes? I am a Christian and would like to know what other religions really believe and what guidelines they follow.

Classes would be available for all religions including Christianity. After being on YA I have observed that the majority of the debates and arguments are based on lack of knowledge of other beliefs.

Would you be willing to become educated and informed?

In a class room setting questions could be asked and answered. There would be structure and an teacher to keep order. Learning about other faiths is not accepting them as your own.

Virginia,

Could you not be open minded enough to listen to a Muslim explain what they believe and why. Knowledge is truth and the truth set us free. I know the Bible as I am a Christian but I don't know anything about the others.

A vocational school could offer more informal classes by people of the faith that is being taught. An open structure for questions and answers. No arguing just learning from each other. This would not be accepting any evil as indicated in an answer. Knowledge can be helpful especially when working with people of other faiths.

Favorite Answer

Being educated and informed, I would think, would be the only way to expand your mind and accept all ways of thinking and believing. After all, every single one of us believes something different in regard to religion/God/spirituality. If you could add more truth to your own, you could have limitless potential.

• Blank

I've taken a comparative religion course. It was quite interesting. But courses like this examine the basic theologies of religions, not the details. For example they don't usually get into issues that cause squabbles among different sects of the same religion such as total immersion baptism versus the sprinkling of holy water version.

There is also much more to understand about spirituality than the differences between the Baptists and the Methodists. Or the Catholics and the Hindi. But your class might be a place to start for a lot of people. Spirituality in my life has nothing to do with religion.

I agree that there is a lot of ignorance among the religious and non-religious posters about the other guy's beliefs. I'd even go so far as to say many of the posters don't even understand their own beliefs.

Bottom line: YA is an entertainment site. People come here to play. Some play nice and some don't. But most don't take what goes on her at all seriously.

• Amy

I'm willing to bet that this is more of an academic course of study than a vocational one.

I also doubt that they would include insrtuction on ALL of the different religions. There are just too many to cover.

Most people don't want to know more about other belief systems. They want to prove that they are right and the other folks are wrong.

i am interested in learning the truth but should i go to learn it from someone that knows less than i do ?

why would i waste my time filling my head with useless to me information?

the true religion of G-D is found in the bible.

all anyone has to do if they are interested in what G-D thinks is to read His book everyday with a humble attitude and ask Him to open their eyes when they don't understand something that troubles them.

if all the hundreds/thousands of different churches are correct,how come there are so many of them ?see the encyclopedia of american religions.

why don't they all teach exactly the same thing?which 1 do you think that you could really trust ?surely they all can't be the 1 true religion?

read the bible for yourself before listening to the ideas of a potential ayatollah type of "unstable individual" that could lead others astray.

• I have been a Christian all of my life. In college I took a course in world religions. I found it to be very interesting. At the ripe old age of 48 I still find the study of other religions very interesting. Christianity rocks and Jesus Christ rocks. I'm so glad that by the grace of God I was born into a family that took hold of relationship over rules!!! (When it comes to God/religion)

I am agnostic....can say i believe nor can say i don't. But i look into all religions for better understanding of how others of different cultures function and why.

I never read the any doctrine to understand any deity for no matter how much i read i will still wouldn't gain any truth.....just potential faith.

It is interesting reading about others beliefs and i recommend (this is coming from someone who is not religious) to read about all of them or at least the ones you have access to.

Yes, and I think it is a good thing. I am not very informed beyond basics on beliefs other than my own. However, I would probably read a book instead of taking a class.

I would...I am a christian too but I like to look into the beliefs and practices of others...I have been studying buddhism for the past three years and have gained priceless knowledge on it

I might not bother to take classes, I'd just read up on them.

Reliable books.

Also, Wikipedia, though many academics disapprove of it, tends to have some very good content, and useful information on most religions.

Unless they were real, deep, intensive classes.

i would suggest taking the classes just so that you can have a large comprehension of other truths in order to find if you are really following the right faith