Christians, who saves? Do you have to belong to a particular religious denomination to be saved?

It is my understanding that when the Lord saves, he saves utterly and completely. It is my understanding that when a person repents and accepts Christ Jesus as their Lord and Saviour they are saved.

What is the Christian understanding of salvation - what does the Bible tell us about how to be saved? And did Jesus say anything about having to join a religion to be saved?

Alleycat, how can anyone go to your question when your profile is private? Help us out here - give us the link!

Just to let you know, I have not given anyone a thumbs' down.

Regarding the word 'repent', my understanding is that if a person truly repents from sin, they STOP DOING IT! Go read Luke 19:1-10 where the tax collector repented, made restitution to those he had cheated and then Jesus said "TODAY salvation has come to this house".

Lots of great answers! I especially appreciated the point made by GraceHead that God does not dwell in temples made by human hands but in the temples made by his own hands, in fragile flesh.

Freedom raised a good point that the Bible teaches us we need the fellowship of other believers in Christ.

Also ginagirl who reminded us that we should ask God to direct us to a church that will teach the truth and stick with the Bible. This was my experience 13 years ago, and the Holy Spirit led me to a U.K. Baptist church. However, it was not joining a church that saved me - it was Christ Jesus.

Great question, Charli! What denomination was the thief on the cross? Quite so!

Favorite Answer

The prophet Jeremiah understood this. He said, "Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed. Save me and I shall be saved, for thou art my praise." (Jer. 17.14) There's a critical link there with praising the God of our salvation.

The God of our salvation has revealed himself in Jesus Christ, who is also called the Saviour. There are not two Saviours in the Bible - Isaiah reports God as saying, "For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour... Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no saviour." (43:3 & 10-11) So when Jesus is also called the Saviour, it means he is the same Saviour God, who alone is to be praised (Titus 1:3-4) and all heaven's throngs worship him (Rev. 5:6-14). Polytheism is not being committed, for Christ saves us as he is God the Saviour. How could anything God does be incomplete? He saves to the uttermost!

Jesus said we have to come to him to be saved (John 5:40) and he turns nobody away who comes to him. (Mat. 11:29). What happened to Zacchaeus, the tax collector, shows all of this. He was looking for Jesus, but Jesus was looking for him! Jesus called him. Zacchaeus responded the right way by coming to Jesus and repenting of his sin. Salvation came to his house that very day! It’s got nothing to do with joining a denomination. It’s got everything to do with believing Jesus and putting faith in him.

I'll make this simple for you, briefly. You don't have to be a part of any certain religion. The important thing is to chose a religion that teaches what the Holy Bible King James Version teaches. Christians believe that you are saved by faith, which is what the Holy Bible teaches. Believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins. Acknowledge that you are a sinner, ask for the forgiveness for your sins and ask the Lord to come into your heart and life, live through you and lead guide and direct you every day. If you want simple answers that are correct, go to Bible.com. There are questions and answers from the BIBLE. So you don't have to take my word for it. There is no confession to any priest or none of that. The only confession we need to do is with GOD. Hope this helps

Source(s): Bible.com

One of the most profound songs I know says "JUST as I am without one plea, but that they blood was shed for me...." We do not to be a Christian to be saved...we become a Christian because we are saved.

I would not go to a church or belong to any group or organization that said I had to belong to said group to be saved. If that garbage were true, then Jesus is not the only way. Now there are some denominations that have a far better track record at pointing to Jesus. the ONLY source of salvation then do others but in short, if they add anything to salvation other then faith in Jesus alone, or if they tell you that you have to belong to their group...RUN from it.....and run straight to Jesus

This is a false teaching of the cults (the counterfeits). We are at an advantage if we know what to expect from a cult. Cultists are very well trained to appear "Christian", and indeed believe they are the true churches, and you need the deliverance! Therefore, be bold and ask the question, "do you believe the group you represent is the only true church on the face of the earth?" If they reply that they are, or if they are evasive, making remarks like "Well, every church has a measure of truth but...", you have made an early detection of a Cultist. Every true Christian, if asked the same question, regardless of his denomination, would reply that the true church is comprised of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, and HE (not some organization) is THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE, (John 14:6). No legitimate denomination would claim that they alone and their members have salvation exclusively, but the cults (the counterfeits) do.

( 1) We are all sinners , all of us are born in sin [Romans 5:12] ( 2) Jews and Gentiles alike are sinners [ Romans 3: 9-12; Romans 3:22-24; Isaiah 64:6] ( 3 ) By nature, all are in sin's bondage. Christ sets us free [ John 8:31-36; John 8:34-36] ( 4) Jesus sets us free. [ Romans 6:16-18 ] ( 5) Without Christ, we are without hope [ Ephesians 2:12-13] ( 6) The result of sin is death [Romans 5:12; Romans 6:23] ( 7 ) We cannot save ourselves in any way; by nature, we are at enmity with God. [Romans 8:7-8; Ephesians 2:1-5 ] ( 8) We are saved only by grace, through faith [ Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7 ] ( 9) All who receive Christ through faith are saved. [ John 1:12] ( 10 ) We are redeemed through the blood of Christ [ I Peter 1:18-19] ( 11) Jesus is the only mediator.[ I Timothy 2:5-6]. God wants us to have a relationship with Him---this is not religion, or a denomination. Religions and denominations are created by man, and they do not work. When we acknowledge the fact that we are sinners, that Jesus died for us, ask Jesus into our heart and be Lord of our life, then God covers all of our sins with the Blood of Jesus, and puts our past into the Sea of Forgetfulness,, never to be remembered again. Hope that this answers your question, God bless you.

Jesus saves us and no you do not have to belong to a particular denomination.

finding a church to go to would involve prayer.

ask God to help you find a church that will teach the truth and stick with the bible.

I believe that going to church is important,it gives us a chance to worship with others who are in the family of God.

but like I said,joining a church is not what saves us,

only repent(change your mind)

and accept Jesus into your heart.

believe that he died for your sins and was raised on the third day and you will be saved.

Source(s): Independent Baptist

To your question; Jesus saves. Not any religious institution. You are right to say, that once a person repents and accepts Christ as their Lord, they are saved. Not of themselves, it is the gift of God.

Please accept this gift, and do not doubt. To doubt is to deny Christ's gift to us.

The Bible does teach us, that we need the fellowship of other believers in Christ. Any Bible founded Church or fellowship is good for us. The term 'Religion' is confusing and is used most often by those that do not know our Lord. Myself, I am at home within any denomination that believes in our Lord Jesus.

New Testament "salvation" means deliverance from a state of separation from God. He is immortal, a perfect Spirit, we are natural and do not know what's best for our soul. We need to be united with God, to share his nature . . .

"he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;" (Titus 3:5-6)

That shedding forth of His Spirit began at Pentecost - see Acts 2:4, 33 and continues the same today (Acts 2:39, 10:44-46).

It is known precisely when people become born of God by receiving His Spirit - they immediately speak in tongues, an unlearned prayer language that God leads His children in. (1 Cor. 14:2, 4, 14-18).

You have received ALL of Jesus, you cannot receive more, but if you later reject te New Life in favour of something your salvation will be lost (Romans 11:22).

So, you should want your relationship with God to grow. That's why he set up his church - people that have this new life AND that want to live it (1 Cor. 12:13).

• Shogun

Understand this Christian, salvation is a supernatural act. It is supernatural in that the Holy Spirit enters the heart and soul of a man or woman, who has surrendered themselves unto the Lord. As the Lord enters your life he begins to teach you what is necessary to live the life of a Christian. Salvation is not obtained by the words of man, or the sincere saying of a prayer. It is a personal experience brought about by prayer and meditation.

As you develop your strong relationship with Christ, so do you develop a relationship with sin. A person who is saved immediately feels the shame and disgust of their future transgressions.

My religion recognizes there are Christians outside our Catholic Church, does yours? While we honor the Saints and the Mother of God, we only worship Jesus Christ our Master. God be with you.

Source(s): Student of the Catechism

Notice one thing about the bible as it was given to us. Jesus mentions no religion by name at all,neither any prophet or disciples.It would be putting words into God's mouth to claim that God has designated my religion as the only true religion. Religion always go through a evolution with many changes and updates.We have so many revised editions of the bible it has has made religion to appear to change at new updates.