Christians, who saves? Do you have to belong to a particular religious denomination to be saved?

It is my understanding that when the Lord saves, he saves utterly and completely. It is my understanding that when a person repents and accepts Christ Jesus as their Lord and Saviour they are saved. What is the Christian understanding of salvation - what does the Bible tell us about how to be saved? And did... show more It is my understanding that when the Lord saves, he saves utterly and completely. It is my understanding that when a person repents and accepts Christ Jesus as their Lord and Saviour they are saved.

What is the Christian understanding of salvation - what does the Bible tell us about how to be saved? And did Jesus say anything about having to join a religion to be saved?
Update: Alleycat, how can anyone go to your question when your profile is private? Help us out here - give us the link! Just to let you know, I have not given anyone a thumbs' down. Regarding the word 'repent', my understanding is that if a person truly repents from sin, they STOP DOING IT! Go read Luke... show more Alleycat, how can anyone go to your question when your profile is private? Help us out here - give us the link!

Just to let you know, I have not given anyone a thumbs' down.

Regarding the word 'repent', my understanding is that if a person truly repents from sin, they STOP DOING IT! Go read Luke 19:1-10 where the tax collector repented, made restitution to those he had cheated and then Jesus said "TODAY salvation has come to this house".
Update 2: Lots of great answers! I especially appreciated the point made by GraceHead that God does not dwell in temples made by human hands but in the temples made by his own hands, in fragile flesh. Freedom raised a good point that the Bible teaches us we need the fellowship of other believers in Christ. Also... show more Lots of great answers! I especially appreciated the point made by GraceHead that God does not dwell in temples made by human hands but in the temples made by his own hands, in fragile flesh.

Freedom raised a good point that the Bible teaches us we need the fellowship of other believers in Christ.

Also ginagirl who reminded us that we should ask God to direct us to a church that will teach the truth and stick with the Bible. This was my experience 13 years ago, and the Holy Spirit led me to a U.K. Baptist church. However, it was not joining a church that saved me - it was Christ Jesus.

Great question, Charli! What denomination was the thief on the cross? Quite so!