How is it correct: an heuristic or a heuristic?

I feel that "a heuristic" sounds very unnatural but then again I am not a native English speaker so I wouldn't relay on that. And people seem to be using it either way on the internet and I'm not really sure who is right.

Best Answer

"A heuristic"; the H is not silent as in "An honorable" it is actually pronounced, albeit pronounced as a "Y" (sounds like You-wrist-ick everytime I've ever heard it, not ooh-wrist-ick).

A is used for words that begin with consonant sound. An is used for words that begin with a vowel sound. Since the 'h' IS pronounced in heuristic, the article should be a. (A history book. An historic event.) The difference is that we tend to elide the pronunciation of the h and the i in 'historic' so that it's more of a vowel sound than a consonant sound. The 'h' in history is a hard, strongly pronounced 'h' and is obviously a consonant sound.

• fkkk

'A heuristic'

seems to be right.

'an' is only used when the next word starts with a vowel,

such as 'an umbrella'

goodluck ! :)

According to Wikipedia, they use "a heuristic" and not "an heuristic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic

a hueristic sounds correct to me, an is used when the next word starts with a vowel sound not a consanant

A Or An

• lane b

if you are looking for the english version i would say an is proper, the H is silent. in the american version, a would be proper, the H is pronounced.

As long as you pronounce the "H" sound it will be "a." But if you do no pronouce the "H" sounds it will "an." Example: He's AN honorable person. ~_~

Source(s): Former English Major.