How is it correct: an heuristic or a heuristic?

I feel that "a heuristic" sounds very unnatural but then again I am not a native English speaker so I wouldn't relay on that. And people seem to be using it either way on the internet and I'm not really sure who is right.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

"A heuristic"; the H is not silent as in "An honorable" it is actually pronounced, albeit pronounced as a "Y" (sounds like You-wrist-ick everytime I've ever heard it, not ooh-wrist-ick).

• 1 decade ago

A is used for words that begin with consonant sound. An is used for words that begin with a vowel sound. Since the 'h' IS pronounced in heuristic, the article should be a. (A history book. An historic event.) The difference is that we tend to elide the pronunciation of the h and the i in 'historic' so that it's more of a vowel sound than a consonant sound. The 'h' in history is a hard, strongly pronounced 'h' and is obviously a consonant sound.

• fkkk
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

'A heuristic'

seems to be right.

'an' is only used when the next word starts with a vowel,

such as 'an umbrella'

goodluck ! :)

• 1 decade ago

According to Wikipedia, they use "a heuristic" and not "an heuristic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

a hueristic sounds correct to me, an is used when the next word starts with a vowel sound not a consanant

• 3 years ago

A Or An

• lane b
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

if you are looking for the english version i would say an is proper, the H is silent. in the american version, a would be proper, the H is pronounced.

• 1 decade ago

As long as you pronounce the "H" sound it will be "a." But if you do no pronouce the "H" sounds it will "an." Example: He's AN honorable person. ~_~

Source(s): Former English Major.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.