What are the odds of?

I am applying for the local police department and was wondering if they usually take no past law enforcement experience applicants. My local dept. says the only requirements are Must be 21 years of age by the completion of the basic academy

Must be a U.S. Citizen

Must have a High School diploma or GED

No felony convictions or convictions of any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona

Pass a pre-employment medical examination that meets AZPOST standards

Shall not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces

Shall not have been previously denied certified AZPOST status, had AZPOST status revoked or currently have certified AZPOST status under suspension. I pass all of these but will they still let me get in? Thanks in advance

Best Answer

You might. No past law enforcement experience will not hinder your application. Depending on the department they may want no experience, if they send you to their own academy you don't have to unlearn bad habits.

I say might since even fully qualified nationally only 11% of those who apply an are qualified make it through probation and out to the street as a full fledged officer.

Source(s): retired cop, M.Sci-LEA

Doesn't like it would be all that hard to get the job, does it. Those are the absolute minimum requirements. What they are going to look at is what else you have to offer the agency. Got a college degree? If the other applicants do, they get the job before you. Got some specialized skill or knowledge, like computer skills or speak Spanish? Same thing happens. Go back to school if all you can meet is the basic requirements.

Good luck.

Based on the info you provided you should be able to apply at the least. You probably still have to pass a written, physical agility, background investigation, psych, drug test, polygraph, medical , oral board etc.

let me think ,you listed everything they require and you can meet those standards,then yes you have a really good chance of makeing it but you will have a tough time with the psychology interview if you really had to ask this question