Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Just found out my puppy has some form of Dermidex?

Just found out my little"funny face" is "terminal"? Her name is Chloe. I call her funny face. She has always had a bald or balding, wrinkly lower muzzle. She darts after bunnies under my fence and her nose fur gets scraped off. Turns out. My little funny face has some sort of mite. It lives in the hair folicals and causes the hair to fall out. Secondary - per the vet is sores, infection, a life of misery for her. Some type of immunity deficiecy as a pup that wont allow her to keep these common mites in check.

Cant be! She is 6 months now. I love my little funny face. Cure? Anyone?

Favorite Answer

Here are some helpful links...

http://www.pugvillage.com/demodex_mange.htm

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/dmang.html

OVERVIEW

Demodecosis is an inflammatory parasitic disease of dogs and rarely cats characterized by the presence of a high number of mites in the hair follicles, which often leads to inflammation and infection. The mite, demodex, is part of the normal make up of the skin and is normally present in small number. The mite resides in hair follicles and glands surrounding the follicles (sebaceous glands). Due to changes in either the genetic or immune system of the animal, the mite begins to proliferate and causes the clinical signs of the disease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANINE DEMODEX

Most cases in dogs occur at a young age. There are no sex or breed predilections. There are two forms of the disease. There is no sex or breed predilection. Transmission occurs by direct contact from the ***** to nursing neonates during the first two or three days of neonatal life. Puppies delivered by cesarean section and raised away from the infected carriers mother did not develop the disease. Adult onset demodex may be due to a decreased resistance to the mite as a result of a compromise of the immune system. It is speculated that some internal disease may cause immunosuppression. The feeling is that there is a subnormal percentage of interlukin-2 receptors on certain blood cells called lymphocytes. In adult onset mange, owner must be warned of the possibility of a major internal illness or a malignant cancer.

Breeders must assume responsibility to remove carriers from their kennel (both parents and siblings) to reduce or eliminate the incidence of demodex. By following this culling program, some kennels have eliminated the disease from their line of breeding.

CLINICAL SIGNS

Localized Demodex

Signs are usually mild and one to several patches of hair loss and inflammation are noted. The most common sites are the face and fore legs. Most cases heal with less then 10% progressing to generalized demodecosis.

Generalized Demodecosis

There are many lesions. These are reddened patches and may be itchy. Secondary bacterial infections occur as the numbers of mites proliferate.

Differential diagnosis includes primary bacterial infection, fungal infections, contact dermatitis, and immune mediated skin diseases.

TREATMENT

Localized Demodex

If mild, the disease usually heals spontaneously. Topical treatment a diluted amitraz (3ml to 30 ml of mineral oil), or rotenone may be used. After four weeks of treatment the numbers of mites should be greatly reduced. If more mites are observed then the condition should be treated as a generalized form.

Generalized Demodex

Adult onset forms may become a management problem due to an underlying cause. Many of these animals may be medically controlled rather than cured. The prognosis is dependent upon the genetic, immunologic, and underlying disease.

Juvenile forms are treated by the following medications.

Amitraz (Mitaban-Upjohn) is the first line in the treatment. Dosage and regimen: use weekly to every other week. Apply a protective ophthalmic ointment to the eye. Wash the entire dog with an antibacterial shampoo, benzoyl peroxide, and gently towel dry the pet. Then apply the amitraz. Use either weekly or every other week. Mix ½ vial per gallon of water. Apply to the entire body. Wear protective gloves when applying. This medication may cause transitory sedation for 12-24 hours. We recommend keeping your pet confined during the day of treatment. Do not towel dry, but let your pet air-dry.

We also recommend use of an antibiotic to control secondary skin infections.

Continue treatment until two successive biweekly skin scrapings are negative for the mite.

AGAIN, DO NOT USE RECOVERED ANIMALS AS BREEDERS.

Other treatments include Ivermectin and Interceptor.

It is contraindicated to use corticosteroids in patients with demodecosis. Steroids are immunosuppressive.

Thank you, everyone! I have had dogs my whole life and never knew about this at all. In such a short time I have really bonded with my little funny face! I was heart broken to find out she has this.

She has always been balding and wrinkly in the muzzle. She looses fur on her nose easily. No scrapes or scratches it just rubs off. It did seem odd that she could push under a fence and loose her hair without injury to the skin. But the rest is how I thought she was suppose to look. She has not had any secondary infections, lesions sores.

I did have her spayed already! She is Chow/shepherd.Pure black with a long thick, soft coat. With a crazy purple tong. And probably my best and sweetest dog ever.

I have seen photos of what this can become. The idea that this could be her is heartbreaking. The idea that there is no cure and some of them need to be put down was earth shattering! I will consult another vet as well as look into some of my options to cure her.

It's nice to know this doesn't mean she is necessarily in for a life of misery.

Thank you all, again! I needed more info and some hope!

Demodectic mange mites live on many dogs, without any effect. They become a problem when the immune ystem cannot keep the population of them down, an they begin to overpopulate the skin, causing areas with no fur, that become itchy and inflamed.

The mites themselves can be killed with a miticide, but the underlying situation in your puppy's sytem also needs to be addressed. Support from an anti-oxidant supplement (as driected by your vet - some vitamins can be toxic in high doses), as well attention to the possibility of food allergies as well. The more you can get this littel dog on the straight and narrow, and not fight against her own body, the better.

A benzoyl peroxide shampoo (as directed by your vet) will help to flush the mites and their waste products out of the pores, and you may want to investigate using neem oil to treat patches of it - neem oil is a natural insecticide that is non-toxic, and available at a natural food store. It won't hurt your puppy like amitraz, the old fashioned treatment for demodex would. Don't let anyone dip your puppy in amitraz or rotenone - there are better treatments that work, and don't hurt.

This would be a very good time to consult a veterinary dermatologist. If your vet is correct, your puppy has a skin condition that will need to be managed for her whole life - but with luck, you will be able to do that. Dermatology is a complicated subject, so best you get some expert help now.

And have her spayed - she shouldn't be bred, and the hormone swings associated with her heats will only add to the problem.

Source(s): Dermatology continuing education, Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
  • TK

Demodectic Mange. Mites and other microbiotics normally live in harmony with the host animal, but a suppressed or malfunctioning immune system can allow the microbiotics to over-multiply and damage the host (your puppy). There are treatments, special dips (Mitaban) and medicines (Ivemectin), to cure the Demodex. They aren't a guaranteed cure and it takes time to see a change, but it may be worth a try. Sometimes the mange is over such a large portion of the body that it is more humane to euthanize than have the dog suffer for months waiting for a "maybe" cure. I would get a second opinion from a different vet before deciding to treat or give up.

Did they tell you it's Demodectic Mange? If it's Demodectic first it's not contagious and secondly it's curable they get treated with Ivermectin or mange shampoos if it's minor. If she's a collie breed then unfortunately they cannot be treated with Ivermectin due to the fact that they cannot tolerate it.

If they told you she had sarcoptic mange then she would be contagious and it's a little harder to treat. All dogs carry the mites, puppies have a higher chance of getting mange because their immune system is not developed, also dogs that are sick or have a poor nutritional diet also are susceptible. Also some breeds are prone to it.

I find it hard to believe that your dog cannot be treated. She doesn't have to have a life of misery if the vet treats her. Mange is not a death sentence, I've seen dogs with severe mange and no hair at all recover.

In fact my friends 4 month old puppy got Demodectic mange recently and was treated with antibiotics and he only had a small spot by his eye. If your dog only has a small spot 2 weeks of antibiotics will clear it up.

Good luck

• Becky

Oh my, you've gotten some bad information or have misunderstood. Demodectic mange is very common in puppies at around 5-6 months, though most often male pups are affected. Most adult dogs have built up immunity to it, and any pups that experience this can usually be treated successfully and will also build immunity.

Get to a different vet for a second opinion. Chances are it's not as doomy and gloomy as you may think for your 'funny face'. Good luck!

Demodectic mange is a mite, these mites are easily killed. (Is your dog a westie?) Try spot ons containing selamectin, or Ivermectin injections (not if your dog is a collie/sheltie). Your vet should show you what is approprite. Its not a terminal affliction, but a chronic one. Your pup can have a happy life if you keep the mite at bay. Also you should probable have your dog on an antibiotic course if the lesions are severe.

Source(s): Vet

I have Four German Shepherds. All of mine cost me over 1000 dollars for. They are VERY well bred and From Working line Champions. You want a BYB German Shepherd, They may be Purebred, but you will End up Spending ALOT of money on it in the Long run. My Sister made that Mistake and He had bad Hip Problems at the Age of 4. Which shouldn't happen in a Well Bred dog. Do what you please, but just remember, you get what you pay for.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Just found out my little"funny face" is "terminal"? Her name is Chloe. I call her funny face. She has always had a bald or balding, wrinkly lower muzzle. She darts after bunnies under my fence and her nose fur gets scraped off. Turns out. My little funny face has some sort of...

Source(s): puppy form dermidex: https://tinyurl.im/H55ix

i have long hair myself because i love it. you should have the way you want too.