If God is "the God of gods" who are the gods (Psalm 136:2, NKJV)?

Hebrew text:

hodu le%

Update:

The details I wrote came through garbled. What I wrote was:

Hebrew text:

hodu l'elohei ha-elohim

ki l'olam chasdo

English translation (New King James Version):

"Oh, give thanks to the God of gods

For His mercy endures forever."

Update 2:

Are these really "false gods"? How then could God be the God of false gods, since that's what the verse says: He is the God of these gods being spoken about.

Compare also verses like Deuteronomy 10:17, "God of gods," Daniel 2:47, "the God of gods," etc.

God is not the God of idols. Nor is God the God of false gods.

So, who are these "gods" of which God is the God?

Update 3:

The words of Psalm 82:1 are similar, "God stands in the assembly of God, in the midst of gods he judges." Some translations render 'edat el, "assembly of God" as "assembly [of the representatives] of God" (Amplified Bible) or "court of heaven" (Revised English Bible) or "the heavenly council" (Good News Bible) or "the divine council." (ESV, NRSV)

Perhaps the ancient Hebrew concept of Monotheism was more inclusive than the modern, Western concept. Monotheism apparently meant that only one Almighty God was to be worshipped by sacrifice, not that there were no other gods.

32 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It seems some people don't realize that the word "god" is not synonomous with "creator." In Hebrew, "god" has the basic sense of "mighty one." Therefore anyoine who is "mighty" may be referred to as a "god" in Hebrew.

I don't see how people are getting "false gods" out of this verse. It doesn't say that, either does the context imply it. The verse is probably referring to angels, who are referred to as gods in the Bible, for example, in Psalms 8:5.

In Hebrew, the noun-singular noun-plural construction (god of gods) is a way of showing superlativeness. For example, in the Song of Solomon, the first verse says "the song of songs," or "the superlative song."

God is definitely superior to the angels, or any other being who could be called a "god."

• 1 decade ago

That is an excellent question. A lot of people tend to overlook the reference to "gods" in Genesis 1:26 KJV.

It is a reference to the race of gods, or the family of God. There is more than one being that can be called a god, but only one that is the head and that we worship.

To be more specific, have you heard of the Holy Trinity. I don't buy into the all in one tripe that most Christians seem to believe. I believe in God the Father, His son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost as individual beings with God the Father himself at the head.

I also believe that God the Father has a massive family, of which we are his children and carry the potential of growing to be like him (in essence, gods) like the way children grow and carry the potential to become adults.

When I read references to multiple god's in scripture I think of the Godhead, and the family of God.

• 1 decade ago

I think that in this verse, the gods would be the Israelite judges over the people in legal matters.

God is from Hebrew Elohim and the Judges of the people were also called Elohim.

What makes the LORD the God of gods is that The LORD God is One LORD.

The

LORD (YHVH)

thy

God (Elohim, plural of Elh)

is

One (Echad, united)

LORD (Yahweh, eternal wind/breath).

And the LORD God is our Creator.

A secret code in the torah. Every 49 or 50 letters TORH is spelled out in Genesis & Exodus. Then in Leviticus 'YHVH' is. Then Numbers & Deuteronomy HROT is spelled out in reverse in every 49 or 50 letters. So this has a secret code that these books go together as the Law of the LORD. And the LORD God is the Creator.

So? God the Father, Word & Holy Spirit Is One Creator God.

After that, in Israel, there human judges known as gods. And there are other gods who are fallen angels or demons... Who never created anything. And there are people who make themselves gods by critically judging every one else.

And also, the Angels in Heaven are gods, also known as sons of God or morning stars, etc...

But to us who are redeemed, there is One Lord God who Is our Creator, are Savior and our Redeemer.

• jen
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Deut.10:17,

Gen.3-15, Satan calls angels gods. Angels do not die. Luke 20:34-36;

Job 38:4-7,30-32; Angels and space were here long before mankind.

John 10:34-36, Jesus called them gods to whom the word of God

came.

John 20:17, The God and Father of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior

is the God and Father of us all and the LORD of Lords.

Source(s): Bible.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In the time of Abraham the hebrews were polytheistic,they had a pantheon of Gods that they worshiped. This probably is referring to the God of Abraham being the creator of all other gods and goddesses worshiped at that time.

• 1 decade ago

The false Gods, what else would you think ?

Ps 96:5 -

For all the gods of the nations are idols: but Yahweh made the heavens.

1Co 8:5 -

For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Savior Yahshua the Messiah, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Juce

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jehovah is greater than all the (other gods). He is greater then the angels who are called gods because they are superhuman in power. He is greater than his Son Jesus who is also called a god. He is greater than false gods/pagan gods such as Dagon. Jehovah is a God of gods. He alone reigns SUPREME. MATCHLESS. THERE IS NONE LIKE HIM.

• 1 decade ago

well seeing that the bible is just one "metaphor" after another, a priest or preacher would say that it means idols. very few things in that book are straight forward and i always wonder who gets to decide what is metaphor and what is not.

but depending on your religious preferences it could mean to you personally as other gods (Zeus, Narcissus, ect.), idols, or just that he is a super beast that no one can compare to.

• Mythos
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

False gods. And for the record- just because God recognizes that the people set-up for themselves "false gods" does not mean He ackowledges that there are other gods.

Just for the record.

• 1 decade ago

God is the one true real God, doesn't mean that humans haven't created other "gods". Any "gods" spoken of in the Bible are false gods created by man. Nowadays television is god to some, doesn't mean it's really god.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.