? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Alex Hawkins or Alex Kingston for my son?

My last name is Hawkins. My wife's last name is Kingston. We've decided to name our son Alexander, Alex for short. She wants our son to have her last name. I want him to have mine. Neither of us want to hyphenate his name. Which do you think sounds best? I won't be hurt if you like her last name better. Just want some honest feedback. Tired of fighting.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

both sound really good but i like Hawkins more

<3

• 1 decade ago

Alex Kingston is a British actress, so I might stay away from that for a boy. For me, I would use my husband's name, and if determined to use mine, would use it as a middle. But, this is a decision you'll have to make as a couple.

Alex/Alexander Kingston Hawkins sounds very elegant.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Personally I would follow tradition and use the fathers name - but you could compromise with your wife and make Kingston his middle name. It doesnt matter if it doesnt fit as well as some other middle name options you might have because it is significant and has meaning - plus nobody uses their middle name in everyday life.

Alex Kingston Hawkins sounds perfectly fine and should make you both happy!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I honestly think Alex Hawkins sounds better. I know this may not be your concern now, but I know two girls where their mothers got married (and kept the maiden name), and the girls (they're each the only daughters in their families) got the mother's last name, while the two sons (each family has two boys) got the father's name. So, if you have a daughter in the future, you could do that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Congrats on your son, but I do personally like Alex Hawkins. It is very strong and masculine. It is not as popular a last name as Kingston, and I am sure he will love it. Good Luck! :-]

• 1 decade ago

Congratulations on your son. What if you gave your son Kingston for a middle name and Hawkins as his last or vice versa, Hawkins as a middle name and Kingston as his last.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think both of the names sound great.

Personally I like Alexander Kingston a little more.

• OK, you guys are nuts! You don't "pick" a last name, especially based on what sound better. What will you do with the next child, give him the opposite name? That would be even stranger. Think of the future with this... put your wifes last name as a middle. It's a no brainer.

• 1 decade ago

Alex Kingston

but your the father and its only natural he has his dads last name kingston sounds better but you can give it to him as a middle name thats how my grandfather has his

• 1 decade ago

i personally like Hawkins, only because Kingston is the name of these trashy apartments i used to live by.... lol.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.