C C asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Should I refrigerate my fondant cake?

This is my 2nd time making a cake and decorating it w/ homemade fondant. I prefer homemade!!! I made the cake...from store bought cake mix..on Wed. night and put it in refrigerator. I decorated the cake last night..on Thursday..w/ fondant. I put it back in the refrigerator when I went to bed. It's now Friday...I live in Orlando, Florida where the weather is HOT...I live in an apartment...always w/ the air on!!!! Should I leave the cake out or keep in refrigerator until we eat it tonite??? I do not want the cake to get hard...I want to keep it moist.

Favorite Answer

Refrigerating and Freezing Fondant Covered Cake:

QUESTION:

I love your page. I wonder if you could leave in the refrigerator a rolled fondant covered cake, and how you have to do it. I did once and the cake came out with something like little water spots over the fondant, but I have a friend who says that she always put the cake in the ice box even with fondant in it. I don’t understand. Thanks a lot for your help.

ANSWER:

Refrigerating: First I need to say that fondant dough (before it is placed on the cake) can and should be refrigerated. After it is on the cake I do not suggest that you refrigerate it.

You should not refrigerate a fondant covered cake. The condensation that can occur when you defrost or bring to room temperature can destroy the finish of the fondant. Yes, you are right about the water spots that is caused by condensation. Leave a cold glass of water on the counter and the surface of the glass will get the same kind of water spots. Water condensation. It is a physics issue.

Your friend has been lucky about putting the cake in the refrigerator. Someday probably when it is most important the cake will get spots. If you live in a humid region your problem can even be greater and you can have drip line and puddles on the cake plate.

I do not guarantee this next technique. This is a trick you can use IF YOU MUST!

If the cake has been refrigerated, put the cake in a cardboard box (not a cake box) while it is coming to room temperature. The cardboard collects the atmospheric moisture and helps to protect the fondants surface.

Freezing: Fondant does not freeze well at all, as a matter of fact, downright lousy! The condensation that can occur when you defrost or bring to room temp can destroy the finish of the fondant.

Now, if you are going to freeze the cake, as many folks do until the first anniversary, yes go ahead and freeze. The cake will not look as beautiful as it did originally but you just have to keep the idea in mind that it was perfect on the day of the wedding.

• audet

Can Fondant Be Refrigerated

• tung

Refrigerate Cake

• Doris

your going to cover a frosted cake with fondant? i never heard of such a thing... normally the fondant goes on the cake then you top it after... but....anyhow... yes you will have to refrigerate it if it has whipped cream or it will go bad EDIT: i didnt say..or mean... covering the whole fondant with frosting.. i said.. topping... EG: decoration and i miss read what you were trying to say about using the fondant... for that i apologize.... but ..i still say it would have to be refrigerated due to the whip cream

No - the cake will get soggy because the fondant can't get air under the fondant. Leave it out and it may be okay. I don't think it will get hard if you keep it in a cooler area of your house, away from sunlight.

"Although shelf stable, it is still adversely effected in extreme heat and should be kept in air conditioned surroundings"

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=fondant...

Keep it in the air-conditioned room in a cake carrier or under wax paper

take it out about an hour before you plan to eat it, but keep it in the fridge for the day because you don't want it to sink or loose shape from the heat

Maybe, but I don't know 100%

damn lard @ss ease up on the mcdonalds ice cream cake gotdamn