Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between ESL and EFL?

I plan on majoring in Elementary Education with an ESL concentration and I want to travel.

Favorite Answer

Je répeté:

English as a Second Language (ESL) is the discipline of teaching English (usually to immigrants) in a country where English is the primary language (USA, Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, etc.)

English as a Foreign Language (EFL) is the teaching of English in countries where English is not the official language.

I'd like to go back to Mexico and teach EFL down there, because... well... I'm homesick for Mexico. It's a selfish reason but hey... you only live once. I'm a Spanish teacher here in USA (taking a little hiatus these last few weeks). I love Spanish, and speak perfect Spanish but I'm a native speaker of English and I don't want to take a job away from a national... so EFL it is!

ESL is English as a second language and you don't have to speak the other language in order to teach English. I am not sure with EFL - English foreign language. I would think that you would have to speak their language and teach them English which is a bit more difficult. One reason for the difficulty is that with ESL, there ia a whole school speaking English so they get practice. With EFL, you might have to make your own class- after the first week - English only and they will have little English outside the class. You may have to explain to them in their language and conduct conferences with foreign parents.

Good luck.