I want to be a Civil/Environmental Engineer. What should I be doing to reach my goal?

I'm going to be a Senior in High School this year and I need to know what programs or activities and the like I should do to make myself stand out to colleges and to help me reach my goal.

Favorite Answer

Don't talk about "Environmental Engineering". In many Engineering

schools, this is not considered a serious study.

For Civil Engineering, take all the math, physics, and chemistry you can find in your high school. It's probably too late, but you should take IB (International Baccalaureate) courses to set you apart from other applicants.

Study very hard but remember that you might not have a job when you graduate. There is a massive glut of civil engineers on the market and no jobs. It will take years to absorb the excess civil engineers that schools are pushing out nowadays.

Colleges like pushing engineering majors because it is a money maker for the universities and they can charge more for classes by adding "lab and technology" fees on top of the tuition and engineers are required to take more credit hours that normal students so universities make more money on an engineering degree than a business degree.

Don't believe the hype they tell you, like that you are almost guaranteed a high paying job after graduation, they are just trying to sell you a program. Trust me and the thousands of Civil Engineers that are out of a job and can't find one in Civil Engineering and the hundreds of college grads that majored in Civil Engineering that can't find job or are going to grad school because they can't find full time work.

Source(s): CE Grad

Study hard and make good grades. Make good choices, like avoiding drugs and excess alcohol.