McNair asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Help Deciding whether or not to put my cat to sleep...?

I have a 19 year old cat who has mouth cancer. We have been to the vet a few times in the past few weeks. The tumor is only going to grow more and there's not much I can do except make her comfortable. She's on kitty morphine twice a day. Despite all of this, she is eating, drinking, using the litter box and still following me around the house. I am torn... I know she is in some pain still (even with the morphine) and I know its only going to get worse. The vet has told me that I can wait until she stops eating to have her put down... the thing is... I can't decide whether or not I should wait that long. Is it better to wait until she really starts to suffer and can't eat... or should I go ahead and have her put down to avoid any future suffering. Both decisions absolutely break my heart and I just can't decide!! Any input would be helpful... Thanks

I decided to put the cat to sleep. She did not seem happy over the past couple days. She went yesterday.... its was extremely hard and I'm so sad. I miss her terribly. :( :( :( :( :( : (

Favorite Answer

Hunny, I put my baby down 3 years ago due to kidney failure. He was my baby for 14 years. I am still heartbroken, but he was cremated and sit in a beautful urn my husband bought me. I also made a photo album. I look at it now and then, and still cry. My advice: let her be until she stops drinking and eating. Let her be until YOU feel ready. Let her be and maybe she will let herself go. I hope that you understand that she has been in your life for a long time. The worst part about being a parent (yes, even to a pet), is letting go when it is time. Here is a poem for you to read. Maybe this will help with your decision.

www.paws2heaven.com/guardian_angel_site.htm

Source(s): (michelle) owner of several cats, personal loss of own furry child.

I am heart broken hearing about this story. You are stronger than i am i will tell you that.

Well i actually would weight a little bit longer before you put her down.

If she is eating and acting ok then i think you should give her a bit longer.

Yes even though she is on the morphine she is still probably in some pain still but cats can withstand alot more pain than we can without it truly hurting them.

Well i hope you update us about how she is doing.

By the way you must be a great cat owner since she made it to 19 years old! Just make her comfortable and cuddle as ofter as you can!

If she gets any worse then i think it would be time to put hr down but she sounds like she is doing ok so just love her for the time she has left.

I hope you can cope easily after wards.

Source(s): My own past experiance. My dog had lung cancer and we had to put her down. That was a terrible day.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

You have to measure what you think it's quality of life is and if it's getting any enjoyment from it whatsoever. You can always take the vet's advice under consideration. Since you seem to be going there often, just keep asking the vet's opinion each week. Watch your cat's behavior and general overall health and activity level. In my experience your cat will let you know when it's time.

But no matter when you decide to get it done, there will always be a part of you that wonders if you did it at the right time or if things might have been different. You just have to try to believe you've done the right thing by your cat because you love her.

I am so sorry about your kitty. That is a terrible decision to have to make. If you can stomach putting her down now, I'd do it now since she's already on morphine and she's still in pain. OTOH, if you can't bring yourself to do it now, I don't think it would be too bad to let it go till she can't eat cause she still seems happy even though she's in some pain. Personally, I'd have trouble putting her down if she were still following me around.

I think that you should wait to put your cat to sleep. If he is not in a huge amount of pain and is still acting normal, then why end her life? You should let her live as long as she comfortably can, and then when the time is right; and she will let you know somehow, you can put her to sleep. But not until then.

First of all, I'm really sorry about your situation! I believe if it was me, I'd have to have her put to sleep, because it is a terminal and painful illness she is going through. I imagine she's quite unhappy? Obviously you don't want to lose your cat but I think it would be the best thing for her and in her best interests. Best of luck in making your decision. Remember 'don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened' - Dr Seuss

my cat is 17 years old right now he very healthy if I was in your position I would put him down, when he gets to the point of not eating it is really bad then the organs will start to shut down, if you have never been through this ,,, it is not pretty I waited with my felv cat,till the end ,I did put him down but I wish I would have done it sooner, I understand how you feel it is a hard chice to make ,but if it was my cat who has been nothing but my very best freind and I love him ,and would want what is best for him and not me

I have a cat, and it breaks my heart to say this, really, it does. But, yes, put it down now. Stop its misery. My bffl had a cat 16 years old and it couldn't walk, it had more than 4 medical condiotions and so got it put down after years of silent suffering. Before it breaks your heart with LOTS of pain, please put it down now. This sort of thing makes my almost cry but yes, you should. :( I am so sorry for you. Your friend (now), Chrissy

sadly i would have to say to put it asleep because the cat must be in a lot of pain, so i would be a little nice to it and put it to sleep so it wouldn't have any pain and also im sorry for your situation.but always keep it in your heart.=)

ok my cat had to be put down, but if she is doing that (still being alive and following u) might be becuz she can understand what ur emotions r. all animals do. but it is up 2 u.