why do some american disapprove of the USA patriot act ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It has been abused, don't know everything in it, some parts of it run rough shod over Americans and their rights.*

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Here is the situation we in America find ourselves in. Basically, we have two levels of protection for our country, our citizens and our constitution. One is the Criminal Justice System. The other is the Department of Defense. Briefly, the events of 9/11 have demonstrated that we face a new kind of threat that falls somewhere between the two. Hijacking an airplane was traditionally a crime and handled by the Criminal Justice System. Flying guided missiles into buildings was traditionally a military action and handled by the DOD. Terrorism crosses the line between the two. In response we came up with the Patriot Act. I think, and so did the members of Congress from both parties who passed it, it was a good balance. In the last few election cycles there has been a lot of posturing and condemnation cast upon the President and the Patriot Act as some kind of seriouse breach of constutional protocol and principle. This was primarily nonsense and only done for political reasons, you know, playing to the base. Attached is an article you may find interesting. I don't know about anyone else but I believe that the Patriot Act is a prudent measure to address the very real threat we are facing. To return to the status quo before this threat to our country is neutralized is just foolhardy. Would you want to board a plane where no one is screened before boarding? Where we do not pass thorough metal detectors or have our luggage X-rayed? That is how it used to be. That is no longer prudent, is it? Same for the Patriot Act. I do agree that close monitoring of those entrusted with it is important. I believe that is also being taken care of. When abuse by some members of the FBI was discovered they were disiplined and dismissed. .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because of this thing called the constitution...maybe you've heard of it. In the constitution, specifically the bill of rights, there's this passage called Amendment 4. Maybe you've heard of it.

It says...

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

So you see...without due process the government can't listen in on my phone or my emails or any of my private business.

Why not just get a warrant from a judge if you suspect terrorism...???

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We don't like the idea of the government scanning our phone conversations without a reason to do so. It's offensive to me for my government to assume I might be a terrorist. The Patriot Act turned us from a nation of citizens into a nation of suspects.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because they have been lead to believe by the mainstream media and the libs that we are spying on our own people yet cannot come up with one instance where that has happened.

-edit-

So, I ask the Libs, you are agaisnt the Patriot Act but you voice no opposition to 0bama's plan to monitor internet traffic? Isn't that the same or are you hypcrites?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Government intervention into the private affairs of U.S. citizens all for the false belief that the U.S. is "safe" & "secure".

Security is a myth and impossible given the size of the United States border. If someone wants to blow up a building, shoot someone etc. and they are capable of not being stupid, they WILL succeed.

It's kind of like our rights to bear arms. Our rights come with responsibilities & costs. Some child might accidentally kill themselves with a firearm or some d-bag might get hold of one, killing innocents.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

many of the provisions of the patriot act are not constitutional.

innocent until proven guilty is the law. patriot act assumes guilt until proven innocent.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

some think wire tapping is against the 4th amendment- can't investigate house without a warrant.

some also think that Gitmo inmates are being deprived of the 5th amendment- due process.

• 1 decade ago

Because they are not patriots. They would rather have terrorists setting off nuclear bombs in major US cities than have a CIA agent monitor a terrorist's phone calls.

• 1 decade ago

Because they have not read it and do not understand it. Because President Bush was for it, there were many liberals against it...without knowing or understanding it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.