? asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Was Mikhail Gorbachev ,the last Soviet leader,jewish and freemason?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • J. R.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No on both counts.

He was born into the Russian Orthodox Catholic faith but was not an adherent to the faith being that religious practices were essentially banned by the Soviet Union.

Freemasonry was also oppressed by the Soviets.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Rubym
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

He was not Jewish, I'm pretty sure of that. As for a freemason, I've never heard anything like that and I would kind of doubt it. But I think he was Russian Orthodox but did not practice any religion, at least during the time of the Soviet Union.

• Eric S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Quoting Staisil:

"Nearly all world leaders are part of the Freemasons 33rd Degree Scottish Rite. George Bush (Jr. and Sr.!), Bill Clinton, Tony Blair, and Mikhail Gorbachev are all 33rd degree Masons. "

No- none of those men are Masons, let alone 33rd Degree.

"Other Masons have included Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Samuel Adams, and Paul Revere."

Yes- they were Masons.

• 1 decade ago

Nearly all world leaders are part of the Freemasons 33rd Degree Scottish Rite. George Bush (Jr. and Sr.!), Bill Clinton, Tony Blair, and Mikhail Gorbachev are all 33rd degree Masons. Other Masons have included Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Samuel Adams, and Paul Revere.

Evidently, Gorbachev is a Christian. See below.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • meat
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Nope, not a Freemason.

...and, just so we're clear, Obama is whatever group he is talking to. He's white, he's black, he's christian, he's muslim, he's french, he's german, we stormed the beaches on Normandy ... He's a liar. It's only a matter of time before he speaks in front of a Jewish group and suddenly becomes jewish, too.

Source(s): I'm a Freemason.
  • Gorbachev was as Jewish as Achamdinijad, or Obama.

• 1 decade ago

he was not a freemason.

to some others:

staisil --- neither Bush, nor Clinton, Blair or Gorby are freemasons... your sources are wrong. Franklin, Washington, Adam and Revere were --- does that tell you something about the quality of people in freemasonry vs those who aren't????

• Spydr
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No, NO, and NO. Any more stupid questions?

As far as masonic ranking. I am a 32nd degree mason, and The Presidents Bush were NOT Masons, nwither was Clinton. Get your information straight.

14 Presidents were masons, they are listed on most lodge websites.

Source(s): I am a mason
  • 1 decade ago

no he was none of those things, but he was alien who communicated to his home planet through the birthmark on his head.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He was not a Jew, nor was he a Mason.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.