Community College easier than University ?

Ok, I'm tranfering this fall from a community college to a CSU (CSU Long Beach). For most of my classes at the CC, I been getting mostly Bs and some As (3.3 GPA).

I'll be taking 300 lv classes in the fall at the CSU and currently worry that those classes are way harder then the level that I'm use to at C.C.

Even though I been getting As and Bs at my CC, I would not say that I obtains them easy since I'm not really a bright student.

So for those that have knowledge, is it really true that classes at CC are way easier than those offer at the University ??????

Favorite Answer

Community College courses, even though they appear to be the same in content, are usually much easier than the "same" course taken in university (except perhaps at an HBCU).

This is the reason many professional schools — such as Schools of Pharmacy — do not accept prerequisite courses taken at a community college.

NO! I have a Bachelor's Degree and lots of extra credits for my teacher certification. Most community colleges have a reputation to protect. They want people to attend their school too. But, if Universities do not accept community college credits, the community college would go bankrupt! As a result, the community college has to be sure that the student can tolerate the Math, English and other stuff from the University. So, generally the work is just a hard. HOWEVER, I must say, community colleges typically have less students in each class. As a result, teachers can focus on your needs better and can spend a small amount of time extra on your questions, but God help you if you are in a freshmen university forum style lecture hall and there are 300 of you in class that day and you have a question. It's hard for the professor to stop and answer you. However, typically classes have Labs and you have to attend Lab as well, you will have a TA (teachers assistant) giving the lab, you can get a lot of questions answered there. It all works out in the end. So don't be afraid of going to the university, it's a lot of FUN! Trust me!

It depends on the instructor and classes at the CC. I've taken CC classes after I got my BA. Some were challenging, most were not. But it's not that different from the UC I went to. The science may be harder.

Some differences: The classes will be larger. The instructors have to worry about publish or perish, so they have less time for students. But upper division differences will be less. (UD classes tend to be smaller.)

So there might be more work, but they are only harder because you are doing a higher level of work. Take a lighter load your first term, either easier classes (from your perspective) or fewer units than you are used to. Just don't allow yourself to get behind.

I've had some graduate level classes that were easier than some CC classes.

Well I started off at a University and transferred to my local CC because of the expense. For me the classes were on the same level and I attended a top-rated HBCU. Some materials may not be fully covered so you may have to study a little more, but for me I could not tell the difference.

My advice though, for at least the 1st semester, is study hard! Be prepared for anything there may be more essays on the tests/quizzes. And idk if you did this at CC, but get to know your professors and this applies to every semester. Tell them your concerns they're there to help!!!

Also if it's a core-to-core agreement - meaning all the gen ed classes transfer equally then you're perfectly fine. You know all the material that they would have taught there you just did it for less.

Good luck!

I found Community Colleges to be comparable to University. Community Colleges generally don't have the class size that a University has so you are able to get one on one attention and questions answered more thoroughly and quickly.

It seems to me that the essence of your situation is not so much that you are going from CC to Univ but that you are going into your 3rd year and thus will be taking advanced rather than introductory level courses. Will those courses be harder? Yes they will, but the assumption is that you are better at what you are doing thanks to a couple of years of post-secondary education. It is also a myth that teaching is better at a CC than at Univ. Not so. Further, the 3rd and 4th year level courses you will be taking will unlikely to be taught by TAs. Finally, all professors are accessible. Go so them. We're professors, we love talking.

I find community colleges to be easier than universities. You get more 1on1 attention, the classes are smaller and many of the instructors don't require as much.

• DEE W

It depends on you. The instructors at community colleges tend be better. at a university teaching is done by grad students and classes are smaller at a cc.