Why do wrestling fans on the internet cheer heels but boo faces? and WQ?

I've been wondering this on the internet heels are the ones always loved and respected while faces are criticized everywhere. Like MVP as a heel he was loved by the fans here but ever since he turned face his number of fans on the internet reduced.

Same as John Cena when he turned face he got a lot more people hating him. So tell me wrestling fans why do you think heels are so much more loved and respected than faces?

WQ: Do you like both face and heel wrestlers? Does it depends on the wrestler or is it because they're face or heel?

I agree Matt some people just can't play a face at all and HHH is a perfect example he was much better off as a heel. Heels in WWE are better played out as well so i see what you mean. Thank you everyone!

Favorite Answer

I think it comes down to what's "cool" in this modern society, look at how many people who would have been bad role models 20 years ago that most kids now what to be like, Rappers (Drug dealing and pimping is glamorized by this) and Glamour models (if the US doesn't have them they pose topless in newspapers and "Lad's Mags" its soft core porn pictures and they make a career of it) are now held in high regards by the youth but show them a hard working all american boy that looks after his family and lives by the law and he is uncool.

Lets take Randy Orton as an example, how many times do you see people say they like him because he is cool? The Character is presented as a nutcase who insults the fans and will happily take someone out, not role model material is he? now John Cena is presented as a honest hard working guy who doesn't give up and gets his reward in the end... everything you would want your kid to grow up to be right? He is an uncool suck up because he does everything by the book and doesn't need to bend the rules. MVP lost the one thing that made his gimmick work so he's abit different in my eyes.

Blame Society, rebelling against what you parents want is as old as time but the people that are now in the spotlight to be modeled after aren't exactly The Fonz are they? The perfect heel these days would be a humble nice Mr Perfect, no one would like him for being so damn nice and perfect!

WQ: I use to have a real easy answer for this... Two favourite wrestlers Chris Jericho and Eric Young... TNA ruined that for me but its all good because heel EY is going to be awesome! I like people that entertain me and i want to watch, doesn't matter if they are face or heel as long as i enjoy watching them. I suppose i do lean towards Heels but that's because they seem to have more interesting gimmicks, face can still work today though just check AJ Styles out.

• ?

A majority of people that I've encountered through this site will do anything to separate themselves from what they see as "the average mark." They want to seem like they know exactly what they are talking about so they pull themselves into a false illusion that just being a heel makes you better than a face because, although it may or may not be true in a specific scenario, "the average mark," the ones filling in the crowds of people at each show each week is cheering for the face. When they cheer for a heel they seem to hold a belief that they are the smarter ones. It seems to be logical within that explanation as to why many of MVP's supporters vanished upon a face turn, why Triple H has an enormous hater's following as a face but a huge fan base as a heel, and of course the shift between average IWC Orton fans and Cena fans.

WQ: Personally I couldn't care which side they are playing as both are important roles in telling the story and when they get in the ring I just want to see a good show. I never discriminated between the two because I grew up watching and becoming a fan of a heel Bret Hart but also learned to love the face side of things through Stone Cold and a variety of others.

People prefer heels because they are "cool". In Modern Day the villain is cool. Some people want the villain to beat the good guy. Whether it be in wrestling, movies, or TV Shows, alot of people root for the villain. I will honestly say that I do. Alot of people dont like good guys because it's the same thing all the time. Something bad happens, the good guy plays buy the book fairly, then in the end the good guy wins. Can you say BORING! How about having the Villain win! That is a twist in the plot!

Teenagers, and 20 and 30 year olds hate Cena because of his "Never Back Down motto and Live Fast Fight Hard. That age group thinks it is "COOL" to cheat. Cheating is better than winning fairly. Faces are like suck up going by the book. While heels are presented as rebels. Rebels are cool. So people view Heels as Rebels which are cool. A rebel is somebody that goes against authority. A perfect example of a WWE Rebel is Randy Orton. Orton goes around punting people in the head. And People like to see a person cheat and win.

I saw some people say that Heels are a bad role model for kids. That is not true. Kids should know that the WWE is not REAL! WWE is scripted. Orton and Edge and Jericho aren't villains in real life. They arent rebels in real life. There characters are villains.

I tried really hard to give a good answer to your Question.

GREAT QUESTION! *STARRED*

WQ: For me it depends on the wrestler and his gimmick. His gimmick not whether he's a face or heel. For example I liked Cena when he had the Rapper Gimmick though I dont like him now that he has the Marine Gimmick. For Heels I am huge Edge, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton fans. Hell, Edge is my favorite wrestler of all time! But I also like HHH, HBK, Christian, Undertaker that are faces.It depends on their gimmick and the wrestler.

That is a good question, I personally like both face and heels, they are just playing the role their company gives them and as long as they put on an entertaining show I will like any wrestler, if I like their style in the ring and think they put on good promos.

I think there are some fans who boo faces and cheer heels because they view it as the cool thing to do. I think many of the internet fans do not like being told who to cheer for so guys like Cena gets booed and everyone criticizes him saying he is being shoved down our throats by the WWE, so the internet fans do the opposite, like boo Cena and cheer Edge.

I can't speak for all internet fans, but this is what I have seen and my opinion on the subject.

• You know King, I think that you and I may have been separated at birth. This is a great question, and it's something that I've always wondered myself. I've never really understood why heels are so popular in comparison to faces.

I think that it really took root once Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock emerged on the scene and really became the superstar anti-heroes. The attitude has shifted back to traditional good guy/bad guy roles since then, but I agree that there is a percentage of people who still really prefer the Austin/Rock way of doing things.

Personally, I like to cheer for the faces over the heels in general. There are some obvious exceptions to that, I'll never, EVER cheer for Batista and Chris Jericho will always be one of my favorites, but on the whole, I like faces better than heels in general. I thought that MVP is a better face than a heel and the same goes with John Morrison. Morrison in particular is much better. I always thought that as a heel he would go way over the top with his promos and he wasn't believable, but his mic skills have either really improved recently or he's really been shown in a different light.

As for John Cena, he's WAY better as a face than as a heel. People always complain on the internet that they want him to return to his old rapper gimmick, but that wouldn't make any sense. His heel character was designed and used as a way to get him some attention and to build up a solid fan base and it worked. He's insanely popular now, despite the very vocal internet minority.

I can understand on-line fans getting frustrated with certain wrestlers who are naturally predisposed to either a face or heel character and them getting booked the wrong way. For example, I've always thought that Triple H was a really natural heel (while Shawn Michaels is a natural face).

There are some wrestlers though who, even as faces, still garner a ton of respect from the internet community. The Undertaker is obviously the most prominent name. The same goes with Shawn Michaels and a few other big names.

Overall though, I think that one of the main reasons is that for whatever reason, it's "cool" to hate on faces and cheer for the bad guys. I don't really know why, but that seems to be the attitude.

• I agree what some are saying that alot like heels to be cool but with me its kinda different i dont really care about looking cool more less get my opinion out there but for me i like heels to be different then the others cheering for the same people that the whole world cheer for is kinda boring for an example when everybody booed snitsky i cheered him same with the wrestler muhammad hassan everybody booed him and nobody ever cheered but i did cheer him now thats one reason the other reason i go by who has talent thats the one thing people should look at before booing a heel athlete or face at that matter most alot dont have it MVP and Kofi kingston they have talent and i like watchin them wrestle however i do not like there face gimmicks its just something about it that aint clickin im just gonna stop here my explanation sounds better in my head then what im putting here but im sure you get what im trying to say lol

I said this in the chat a little while ago KOK. I for one dont just like heels. I like anyone who entertains me and who does a good job playing their particular role. I am probably one of the few on here, who isnt a kid or cougar who actually likes john cena. I also like randy orton. there arent too many people who like them both.

That being said...........I thnk that some, not all but some people like the heels because they are tying to be clever. They think that liking someone they arent really supposed to like makes them look cool. This goes for alot of the younger users.

There are a few who are like my in the respect that they like anyone who plays their role well. I think the others who like only heels can maybe relate to their characters a little more than they can the faces. They find the faces boring and the "bad guy" appeals to them more.

WQ YES! although sometimes it does depend on the wrestler often times a wrestler can make a heel or face change and not be as appealing. like orton for example. i am a huge fan of his but i dont think he could cut it as a face.

You know what, I have been asking the same question for years. John Cena is a prime example; I never understand why he's being booed. What has he done? And why cheer a lily-livered punk like Randy Orton? I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me either. As for MVP however, he seems to have gained some popularity with the crowds after he turned face the same time that Matt Hardy turned heel. I do like some heels...Big Show's ok, but he needs to leave Cena alone and accept the fact that he lost. But it does depend; the WWE Universe is a fickle group.

I'm an internet fan, and I like who I like, despite what side of the fence they are on. I like Rey Mysterio, and hes a face. I think some heels arent cut out to be heels and are better faces. Not all internet fans cheer strictly for heels. But lets call a spade a spade...people like heels generally because they are evil. We, as humans, are attracted to evil somewhat, and so is the case here. The bad guys are entertaining for the most part because...they're bad. They capitalize on doing selfish and heinious things and we like that. But sometimes I also like to see the good guy win. It all depends, so I dont think one shouldnt generalize internet fans because we all have different tastes.

WQ: It totally depends on how they play there character. Like I said above, some guys are better as faces than heels, like Rey Mysterio and Evan Bourne. Some faces are better as heels like Finlay and Christian. It totally, for me, depends on which character they play better.

The thing with Cena is when he first turned face, people loved it because he still had an edge to him. Fast forward to 2006 and onward, that edge is gone and hes a total straight-out-of-a-novel babyface. He lost his edge and hipness, therefore hes not liked by many fans, and it makes sense.

Same reason why some Batman fans prefer Joker. Its their opinion.

WQ- It depends on how talented the wrestler is.

Talented faces are Morrison, Mysterio, Kingston, HBK, Taker, The Colons, etc

Talented Heels are Edge, Jericho, Benjamin, The Hart Dynasty, Swagger, etc