If something was knowledge, but it's not anymore...what value is knowledge?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • guru
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Knowledge has no intrinsic value in my world.

Knowledge (but not all knowledge) can be a useful tool to a human. A good job, a better education, a promotion, the necessities of life. Knowledge in and of itself is pretty useless. It is the knowledge that we amass that determines how valuable it is to you or to me.

If you are a buddhist, you are not likely to care about the knowledge of economic theory. That knowledge with be of little value or worth to you.

All knowledge is not equal. I haven't taken any uni courses in how to build a crystal meth lab, how to perform an abortion, how to build a bomb, some knowledge has no value to me.

Logically, [all] knowledge is not equal despite any desire to have absolutes and equality in the world.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

This seems odd, you ask this question as though knowledge is a fixed thing, knowledge is a resolution towards a probability.

If a more accurate conceptual system provides more acute description of a probable physical evolution this does not mean that the former system was without value.

For example newtonian physics is still useful despite the fact that relativity is more accurate.

• 1 decade ago

Not all knowledge comes complete but is a work in progress. If I know something then later find all aspects of that understanding were not correct was it wrong or simply incomplete? We lay a foundation & with continued learning & experience build upon that foundation. As we build, after a point, the foundation may no longer be visible to the eye, but the structure could not stand with it.

Blessings!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Expired knowledge is no longer useful. For example, say you lived in a small town when you were small, and were familiar with its roads. What good is that knowledge when you come back 20 years later and the small town expanded into a huge city? Knowledge is basically useful information, and like all information, it can be time-sensitive and context-sensitive.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Nothing has any inherent worth. Worth is decreed by the subjective opinion of others, as such the value fluctuates.

That's the trouble with abstract concepts, you can't pin them down and people keep adjusting them to allow for new knowledge.

And for the new to be, the old must not be. All things progress.

• 1 decade ago

A new understanding of what you once thought you knew was not what it was : )

It is still knowledge

Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification.

Love & Blessings

Milly

• Beans
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

knowledge has value always in lieu of its context. That particular slice of knowledge had value, it lost its knowledge-ness and then gained a new value of knowing that particular knowledgeless-ness.

• 1 decade ago

knowledge is the spectrum through which we regard reality. That spectrum is mainly relevant to us, so in all conditions we decide what value it gets.

• 1 decade ago

It shows the evolution of human thought, it's value is in history.

• SusieG
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's kinda like the old 8 track player..you appreciate the new technology...but ..your mind still has the memory of that 8 track you used to jam to. Memories...priceless.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.