Is hotmail considered a professional email service?

I have to create a professional email account and my name is VERY common. Gmail doesn't have any usernames available with my full name WITHOUT numbers behind it. Hotmail has some available with my full name but I feel it isn't very professional compared to Gmail. My school email address will expire sometime this summer because I graduated.

Favorite Answer

Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo are all the same when it comes to being non-professional. One of the biggest reasons for that is they are all FREE.

Depends what you want to use your email for. Usually you will get an email with your cable or DSL internet service. Those are still considered more professional than the free ones.

But if you want a really professional email, you should register a domain name, for example: www.yourbusinessname.com, and you can then create an email that will say, for example: john@yourbusinessname.com. You can register domain names for really cheap these days, like $10 a year.

It doesn't get any more professional than that.

Hotmail Customer Support@+1^800^782^3911

Yes it is. Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc all these are considered as a professional services. All these professional email services are free. There are no. of user are taking the advantages of this professional email services all over the world.

• rtfm

The last office I worked in actually filtered out mail from Hotmail addresses. It's not considered professional at all.

The only Web-based mail that I'd recommend as being somewhat professional is gmail. Try using your middle initial, or your first initial instead of your name, or your full first plus middle name -- there ought to be some combination you can come up with that still looks businesslike.

• User14 years agoReport

Why do you consider gmail more professional than hotmail? To me, which one you use is just a matter of personal preference.

Well, it depends on what you make the email. If you make it luv2shopalotcuzimmagirl@hotmail.com then in no way is it professional. But if you make it like your full name like you want to, then yes, it is professional. In my opinion, I like hotmail because it sounds professional and a full contact box drops down unlike most sites where you have to type in a letter for a list of emails to come up. I have a hotmail and it works really well unlike Yahoo and Gmail, where I had problems with it. Hope that helps!

No, hotmail is not professional. If you want to be professional and taken seriously, just do not use hotmail. Get an independent e-mail address. If people see '@hotmail.com' or whichever, they're just going to think you're immature or just plain unprofessional. If you want one that is professional, it's not going to be a free e-mailing service. You're going to need to pay for one. Hotmail, gmail, yahoo, they're all free so they're not a good choice. Out of all the free ones, gmail would be the best choice, but as you said, your name is already taken. Try putting your name, then you're hometown on it and see if it is available, or try putting a full stop or hyphen in it, if gmail allows those. Or try putting your middle name in with it, or another word that has something to do with you. You could try http://www.gcwweb.com/get-a-professional-email-add...

• Diena

hotmail considered professional email service

• Mary C

Years ago, I was supposed to send a resume for my son. Back then, I wasn't on email, so had to set up a Hotmail account at Kinkos to send the resume. My son got the job -- which was a turning point in his life! Since then, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Hotmail.

Here's the thing, if I were looking at it, I would think the Hotmail person is smart enough not to have to pay for email like the rest of the folks do. I would not look down on a Hotmail person.

But obviously, other posters do.

Gosh! I'd hate to think that Hotmail was the thing that kept you from getting the job!

Generally I would regard Hotmail as being unprofessional, although in Asia it is less so, I receive emails from Hotmail, Google and Yahoo from genuine business people in India, China and other Asian countries.

In the West its different, Hotmail in particular is full of spammers.

By the way ,I have had a hotmail account since 1992

no, I don't think Hotmail is a professional address. choose Gmail or Yahoo. if you don't find a user name available you can use a period between two words like name.surname@gmail.com