Baby Juice o.k. for 3 1/2 month old?

My ped gave me the o.k. to start my son on cereal a little early because he is such a big boy!

Before this he has been EFB.

I am curious to know if it would be o.k. to give him small amounts of watered down gerber baby juice to counter act the constipation from the cereal?

sorry i meant EBF.. lol

Just for the record he hasnt gotten constipated yet.. Ive just been told it will happen... and the main reason i put him on cereal was bc nursing wad not satisfying his hunger. He only gets cereal once a day

Favorite Answer

my little one started rice at 3 months advice from health visitor. didn't suffer from constipation but water is the best option. but a max of 1-2 ounces a day. you dont want the water to take up space for milk. if the baby dosnt like water try fennel tea or baby water with a hint of juice.

"I am curious to know if it would be o.k. to give him small amounts of watered down gerber baby juice to counter act the constipation from the cereal?"

If you are needing to counteract the constipation then your baby clearly isn't ready for cereal. There is no real benefit to cereal over other baby foods so if you absolutely thinks he needs baby food at this age(being a big baby really isn't a good reason, but whatever) then try a veggie or fruit.

No, a 3 and a half month old doesn't need juice at all. Juice should be delayed as long as possible and your baby doesn't ever really need it. My son started getting it as a treat at 9 months. Once a day, highly diluted with water.

• blank

I wouldn't start juice that early, no. If your son gets constipated from the cereal, that's a good sign that hi body isn't ready for the cereal. There's really no reason to start cereal early because your son is big. Just nurse him more often. If you want to go ahead with the cereal, give it a try, but if it constipates him, I would just cut out the cereal for a couple months instead of adding juice to the equation also. That's a lot for a little developing tummy to handle.

Even though you have a 'big boy' breastmilk should still be the only thing that he needs to grow at this point. Does he seem satisfied from breastmilk? If so then I would leave it at that. One of the many benefits of breastmilk is to prevent being overweight.

Juice - is just sugar, no need for it.

Source(s): lactation counselor
  • My daughters FAVORITE was motts cinn. apple sauce mixed with her cerial and then I added either breast milk OR juice...she was just fine.