Meaning of IHS in church.?

My husband and I attended a church on Sunday and on the pulpit was a cloth with IHS embroidered on it. I can't remember what the letters stand for and was wondering if anyone could give us the meaning of the letters. Thanks!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Jesus H. Christ - IHS - The Christogram

In the Latin-speaking Christianity of medieval Western Europe (and so among Catholics and many Protestants today), the most common Christogram is "IHS" or "IHC", derived from the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus, iota-eta-sigma or ΙΗΣ. Here the Greek letter eta was transliterated as the letter H in the Latin-speaking West (Greek eta and Latin-alphabet H had the same visual appearance and shared a common historical origin), while the Greek letter sigma was either transliterated as the Latin letter C (due to the visually-similar form of the lunate sigma), or as Latin S (since these letters of the two alphabets wrote the same sound). Because the Latin-alphabet letters I and J were not systematically distinguished until the 17th century, "JHS" and "JHC" are equivalent to "IHS" and "IHC".

"IHS" is sometimes interpreted as meaning Iesus Hominum Salvator ("Jesus, Savior of men", in Latin), or connected with In Hoc Signo. Some uses have even been created for the English language, where "IHS" is interpreted as an abbreviation of "I Have Suffered" or "In His Service". Such interpretations are known as backronyms. This abbreviation ("IHS") is likely the source of the joke that Jesus' full name is "Jesus H. Christ."

One of the oldest Christograms is the Chi-Rho or Labarum. It consists of the superimposed Greek letters Chi Χ; and Rho Ρ, which are the first two letters of christ in Greek. Technically, the word labarum is Latin for a standard with a little flag hanging on it, used in the army. A Christogram was added to the flag as an image of the Greek letters Chi Rho, in the late Roman period. So Christogram and labarum are not originally synonyms.

The most commonly encountered Christogram in English-speaking countries in modern times is the X (or more accurately, Greek letter Chi) in the abbreviation Xmas (for "Christmas"), which represents the first letter of the word Christ.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awhkc

A monogram of the name of Jesus Christ. From the third century the names of our Saviour are sometimes shortened, particularly in Christian inscriptions (IH and XP, for Jesus and Christus). In the next century the "sigla" (chi-rho) occurs not only as an abbreviation but also as a symbol. From the beginning, however, in Christian inscriptions the nomina sacra, or names of Jesus Christ, were shortened by contraction, thus IC and XC or IHS and XPS for Iesous Christos. These Greek monograms continued to be used in Latin during the Middle Ages.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Meaning of IHS in church.?

My husband and I attended a church on Sunday and on the pulpit was a cloth with IHS embroidered on it. I can't remember what the letters stand for and was wondering if anyone could give us the meaning of the letters. Thanks!

Source(s): meaning ihs church: https://tr.im/cpt9e
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Ihs Jesus

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Kevin is nearest - it is the first three letters of the name jesus in Greek block capitals (as the new testament was written in Greek). It has nothing to do with Latin initial phrases or even English words. These explanations were invented later on.

• Isis Horus Seth?

• john w
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Kevin is correct- it's original meaning is the Latin form of Holy Name of Jesus:

IH(E)S(US)- Latin did not have the letter "J".

• 1 decade ago

It is explained here in great detail.

God bless.

http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=IHS

• 1 decade ago

lesous Hominium Salvator -- Jesus savior of man.

• 1 decade ago

It's a monogram of the name of Jesus Christ.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.