promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know how marijuana gets THC? Are they only female plants?

Sorry if I phrased this question badly but I don't know how else to put it. I heard somewhere that smoke-ready marijuana only comes from unfertilized female plants. Only female plants that haven't been fertilized produce the THC. Is this true? Thanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • CS
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

All cannabis plants produce THC, male and female, industrial and recreational/medical. That said, recreational/medical strains have been selectively bred to produce higher levels of THC. Males and industrial strains have very low levels of THC. No matter the strain, females will produce higher levels of THC. THC is found mainly in the female buds in sticky, resinous trichomes. Her true purpose in life is to produce seed and thus reproduce, ensuring the survival of her species. When a female plant is unfertilized, she produces more and more trichomes in order to attempt to attract pollen. Fertilized females also produce higher levels of THC than males, but the presence of pollen and the consequent process of seed bearing keeps THC levels lower than if the plant were unfertilized. Growers cull male plants to ensure the highest possible THC content of the product.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not sure what triggers the production of THC, but you are absolutely correct that only unfertilized females produce a high level of THC.

• 3 years ago

The plant won't produce buds, yet little balls that contain seeds. in case you decide directly to smoke the female plant i advise you do not permit it come into touch with any male vegetation because of the fact after being pollinated it is going to produce to many seeds and not sufficient particularly bud which would be smoked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.