Why all the hate for rap music?

The current shape of the music industry is often lamented these days, but I've noticed that many tend to place the onus on Hip Hop for ruining the quality of music, often saying it's stupid and repetitive. While I don't disagree with the assessment that much of the rap music in mainstream media is... show more The current shape of the music industry is often lamented these days, but I've noticed that many tend to place the onus on Hip Hop for ruining the quality of music, often saying it's stupid and repetitive. While I don't disagree with the assessment that much of the rap music in mainstream media is rather poor quality, I do fail to see why other genres don't get their fair share of blame and judgement for some of the generic crap flooding the airways.

A few days ago I was up very early in the morning and I put on Vh1 because I felt like having some noise in the background while reading. Every time I looked up from my book I though I was watching the same video. It was always some dude with a 5 o'clock shadow walking down the street singing (poorly) about love found or love lost, interlaced with the band playing in a house party somewhere. If the chicks at the party had some donk, and the power chords replaced with beats, it could have been your run of the mill crappy R&B/rap video.

I don't want to hear the "Rap is about drugs/sex/degrading women" in this particular discussion because-

A.) The people I'm talking about will usually say "rap used to be good", but don't consider the fact that most of the rap they are talking about has these same themes(Doggystyle is one of the most misogynistic rap albums ever, but put on Gin and Juice at a party and everybody becomes a rapper)

B.) Drugs, sex and objectifying women is as "Rock and roll" as the electric guitar is

and C) I'm talking about artistic originality here.