Anonymous

Why all the hate for rap music?

The current shape of the music industry is often lamented these days, but I've noticed that many tend to place the onus on Hip Hop for ruining the quality of music, often saying it's stupid and repetitive. While I don't disagree with the assessment that much of the rap music in mainstream media is rather poor quality, I do fail to see why other genres don't get their fair share of blame and judgement for some of the generic crap flooding the airways.

A few days ago I was up very early in the morning and I put on Vh1 because I felt like having some noise in the background while reading. Every time I looked up from my book I though I was watching the same video. It was always some dude with a 5 o'clock shadow walking down the street singing (poorly) about love found or love lost, interlaced with the band playing in a house party somewhere. If the chicks at the party had some donk, and the power chords replaced with beats, it could have been your run of the mill crappy R&B/rap video.

I don't want to hear the "Rap is about drugs/sex/degrading women" in this particular discussion because-

A.) The people I'm talking about will usually say "rap used to be good", but don't consider the fact that most of the rap they are talking about has these same themes(Doggystyle is one of the most misogynistic rap albums ever, but put on Gin and Juice at a party and everybody becomes a rapper)

B.) Drugs, sex and objectifying women is as "Rock and roll" as the electric guitar is

and C) I'm talking about artistic originality here.

• Claire
    Favorite Answer

Please, don't confuse rap with hip hop. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Mos Def, The Roots and Heirogylphics=hip hop

2Pac, Ludacris, Fiddy, Nate Dog=rap

Source(s): I love hip hop, but not really rap

Have you seen "Rock of Love Bus"? Those chics make the girls from "Flava of Love" look like angels. They dress like skanks too and shake their @$$es but no one talks about them. Why is that? Also those "other genres" Talk about sex drugs and death. And the kids who listen to that stuff aren't exactly "model citizens"

For those of you who do say "rap is about drugs/sex/degrading women" you must have stopped listening to it in the early 2000's because that's played out. The subject matter is more about money and clubbing. No one talks about gangs in mainstream rap. And there's less talk about selling drugs. If you'd rather hear about none of the above, I suggest you listen to conscious rap. And you don't sing rap BTW. There's no notes to sing DUH!!!

As for the artistic side of it, yes 90's rap wasn't the most positive thing to listen to but the rappers of that time put some passion into their craft. You had real MC's that can come up with great lyrics and had a good flow. You had to tell some type of a story to get and have some talent to get recognized. Now all you need is a good beat and a catchy hook to get air play. No one cares about your skills as a rapper any more. People don't invest into quality anymore.

• Ironically,these days,the rock music is just as full of the screaming,cussing & "street talk".

What I hate more than the rap music is when some white guy is on the radio trying to be black,and telling us how his life was so damn hard "on da streets",when he has next to no idea what he's actually talking about.

Now,I'm not saying that white people should stick to a certain type of music nor am I saying that blacks should only sing rap.

Nelly's duet with Tim McGraw was nice,and Charlie Pride was a great country singer as well. Sadly,most blacks avoid country singing like the plague.

But,well,whites in the rap community never really works out.We all heard of the terrible career of Vanilla Ice,and now,Eminem's music is getting worse and worse,too.

If more artists stayed true to themselves,and sang about what they actually know instead of just singing songs that they feel will make them rich,we'd be better off.

Source(s): KM

Yeah I agree some genres aren't exposed for the negative messages, video display, lifestyles of the artists etc. But at the same time, people tend to tern to the music's biggest artist for permission whether to degrade or uplift what people listen to. You really think black people care what non blacks have to say about hip hop? Since majority of hip hop artist are black? Or what Hispanics(whatever they are) care about who says what about Reggaeton? Or White people with Rock or Country? They focus on what Whites say about the music.

Another thing is the ages of the consumers. Therefore the artists are the targets for what they do, not the music. The same misconceptions people who don't listen to hip hop have about hip hop based on what others say or how negative the media is about it. The same for people who don't listen to Rock and call it devil music, or White people music, or not cool music or real music.

Rock has it's misconceptions, that all rock starts have to look like goths or emos, drinking heavily and hanging rock star groupies. Trust me, it has a bad rep just like hip hop. And the majority of the aritist admit this as well, White or Black. So in order to keep the younger generation interested in a positive light, some artists limit these negatives like drugs or video hos from their music. Some people are just more creative than many in the mainstream.

• KRS

Let's talk about artisitic originality. Rap music is the most popular music today and therefore most of the artists who want to get paid are trying to find a way to cash in on it.Therefore we have more people trying to simulate whats already been done than we have artists who are trying to create a new sound. Look at the difference in the music from the '30s (big band) '40s (do wop) '50s (rock n roll) '60s (soul/R&B) '70s (disco) there was an immense difference every generation in the quality and creativity in music. Rap came around in the '80s and we haven't progressed much at all since! It was so popular it actually crippled the music development. No one seems to be successful doing anything else. That is my pet peeve with rap. Let's not even get started on jazz. The jazz stations have been run out of town in most metro areas due to lack of patronage. I blame rap for that too.

Yeah it doesn't really make sense. Seeing as how the biggest consumers of rap became upper middle class suburban white kids in the early 2000s onward, the rap music changed to cater to them and what they like. So whatever people are hearing today from the mainstream rap genre, it's thanks to the white consumers who won't listen to a different, more substantive form of rap/hip hop.

If anything, BS like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and the Fallout Boys deserve equal blame (if not more).

This often bothers me too. My simple answer is that I think many people are pretentious about it and wish to consider themselves to be more "PC" than they are. You'll often find that the same people who claim "Nobody raps about real stuff" anymore are the first ones dancing and singing to the lyrics they claim they hate. Many people want to seem as if they are so far ahead of the norm intellectually. I just think music changes, as does all things, and if people didn't like the "crap" that was out there, it obviously wouldn't be selling--and it is. Its all art to me. You can individually pick and choose what you admire. Now I'm going to sit back and watch how many racist answers this question gets.

I only listen to rap that actually has good meaningful lyrics. Inspirational rap. Honestly, I think they need to come up with more productive ideas on rap music videos. Like seriously, almost three fourths of them involve men arousing women and it's irritating whenever they do that little gangster hand flip thingy every five seconds or so. Has it become some form of a hand seizure now?

My current favorite rap artist is J.Reyez. Probably which most of you never heard of, but I think he's pretty good. He produces his own songs.

Ace hood, lil wayne, dj khaled, 2pac and so on... neh eh, not my style.

What doesn't make sense even more to me is screamo and heavy metal. They hold a constant note for like 20 seconds or longer at the end of each verse when already in rap, a lot could be said in 20 seconds.

• Sara

Because they usually think of mainstream bullshit (Lil Wayne, Drake, Nicki Minaj etc..) Those are some really good artists you posted. I'm a huge supporter of Immortal Tech and Lowkey

I love rap from the 90's, but today's rap music is very degrading to women and they mostly talk about drugs. I mean I still get down with rap but it isn't as good as it use to be.

I know you mentioned it, but yes I do hate it because Rap is about drugs/sex/degrading women. Also I don't like the beats, or the wierd voice they shout it in, or the clothing they wear. Or that whole lifestyle for that matter. I think meaningful rap music would sound so much nicer as a poem.

now answer mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37325412@N02/36324732...