Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelMexicoPuerto Vallarta · 1 decade ago

How can I make a living in Puerto Vallarta Mexico?

I was born in the united states and never lived outside the country but I am planning on moving to Puerto Vallarta Mexico to be with my family and I wanted to see what I could do over there that would pay a decent amount of money. I've heard that if you speak english, you have it made but I just don't know where to start looking. I'm not wanting to get rich or start a business (wouldn't have anough time and energy, need to take care of the in-laws)

Favorite Answer

Do you have dual citizenship? That will help some. Understand that right now unemployment is very high in Mexico. Getting work permits for non citizens is extremely difficult. A company must state that they were unable to find a Mexican citizen who could do the job, and unless you have some highly specialized job skills, that may not be easy.

Thousands of workers have returned from the United States. Many of them speak English and Spanish fluently. They are even having trouble finding work. I'm not sure who thought that speaking English was any kind of magic carpet, but is just isn't true.

You could check with the resorts but the pay is not great. The real estate market is very slow, because folks in the states can't sell their houses to buy that retirement or vacation home.

You can check CraigsList Puerto Vallarta and get an idea of what might be available.

http://pv.en.craigslist.com.mx/

Source(s): retired in Mexico

I am going to Puerto Vallarta on 5/2-5/9. I called the resort this morning and was told that there are no problems there. Everything is being cleaned extra carefully and the food servers are wearing masks as an extra precaution. She said that if you didn't watch TV or look at a newspaper,you wouldn't know there was any problem.She felt that I was more in danger being in New York than I will be in Puerto Vallarta. Will keep you posted when I return

You could try your hand at selling time-shares there, but there are already a thousand people doing that. And it's a cutthroat business where other sales people will leap over you to get to the next prospect and make that sale.

Or you could sell real estate to retirees. Create a website and attract people to Puerto Vallarta and show properties like the website below does in the lake Chapala area of Jalisco.

• choco

In many hotels and restaurants hire americans as activities team, hostess, chefs, public relations etc. but the salaries are not very good as the comissionist like timeshare sales person. Right now isn´t easy at all.

Try the big hotels they use English speakers alot.

Source(s): Friends work in hotels

somewhere in a hotel