Question to anime/manga fans about Japanese war crimes?

As a fan of Japanese anime and manga, do you find it unsettling to know of all the war crimes and atrocities committed by Japanese? I know that it's ridiculous to think that an entire union of any sort should be scorned for the wrongdoings of a small portion of it, and that most powerful countries committed... show more As a fan of Japanese anime and manga, do you find it unsettling to know of all the war crimes and atrocities committed by Japanese?

I know that it's ridiculous to think that an entire union of any sort should be scorned for the wrongdoings of a small portion of it, and that most powerful countries committed war crimes at some point in their history.

It's just that when many anime fans and such (99% of them young) say how beautiful a country Japan is and how they're a fan of everything Japanese, I get slightly disgusted to think that they may not even know about all of the atrocities Japanese armies committed during World War II, and how Japan refuses to apologize for some of them.

I'd like to see an [accurate] anime on the Rape of Nanking. Well no, I wouldn't like seeing it, but it might be good if there was one.

So what do you think?
Update: And yeah, I probably don't know what I'm talking about. But whatever. I'd like you to tell me.
Update 2: Great answers everyone, especially Mic the Cat and of course the BA. Thank you all ^_^