If a cop is tailgating you, and you slam on your brakes and he rear-ends you. can he get in trouble?

I live in a small town. and the roads speed limit is 30-35. and I've had twice where a cop rides so close behind me at night his headlights are covered by the back of my car. And I was wondering if I were to slam on my brakes say if a dog ran out in front of me, what would happen. Who would be at fault?

But he stayed the same distance for about 1.5 miles or so.

• Kevy
    Favorite Answer

Nice try with the dog.

I know you just want to brake check the officer.

If your thinking about it, let me explain something to you.

However if your not, then it is an accident.

Making an action that the offender reasonably knows will cause or is likely to cause injury is a crime. ACDA (assured clear distance ahead)is a minor misdemeanor and is part of the same section that speeding is, and a police officer is exempt from such laws while performing his/her duties.

In Ohio You commit ASSAULT or FELONIOUS ASSAULT if you brake check someone

2903.13 Assault.

(A) No person shall knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm to another

(B) No person shall recklessly cause serious physical harm to another

2903.11 Felonious assault.

(A) No person shall knowingly do either of the following:

(1) Cause serious physical harm to another

(2) Cause or attempt to cause physical harm to another by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance.

Source(s): A person acts KNOWINGLY, regardless of his purpose, when he is aware that his conduct will probably cause a certain result or will probably be of a certain nature. A person has knowledge of circumstances when he is aware that such circumstances probably exist. A person acts recklessly when, with heedless indifference to the consequences, he perversely disregards a known risk that his conduct is likely to cause a certain result or is likely to be of a certain nature. A person is reckless with respect to circumstances when, with heedless indifference to the consequences, he perversely disregards a known risk that such circumstances are likely to exist.
  • tony c

rule no1 when driving applies anywhere in the world.

always maintain a safe distance between your self and the vehicle in front of you so if the driver in front has to take evasive action (such as a dog or child running into the road) you have enough time to take evasive action yourself.

whether he's a copper or doing his job or not-he still has to display a high degree of care and consideration when at the wheel because as with all drivers he has a duty of care not only to himself but also to other road users-besides if what the poster says is correct and that they could not see his headlights in their rear-view mirror then i would seriously question the policemans eyesight if he were carrying out a number plate check-a requirement of the UK driving test is being able to read a clean number plate from a distance of at least 60 feet-and i dare say our colonial cousins are no different.

the bottom line is he had absolutely no reason to drive in that fashion-so yes he can.

• S S

Yes by all rights, but I'm sure a cop could come up with some reason why it is your fault.

Yes,

he's still required to maintain a safe distance behind your car. He's not exempt from that law.

• Lexie

You would, because you deliberately caused an accident. Having someone else in the wrong, for following too closely, doesn't give you the right to recklessly cause an accident. You, or the officer, could be badly hurt or killed.

You would be found to be at fault. The judge would believe whatever the officer says, so don't do it.

Uh, no he's a cop.

He's doing his job by tailgating to run your plates.

If he rearends you I'm you will be arrested for deliberatley causing an accident. Even though a dog might run in front, they would have said to just run it over.

Don't do it!

Yes... he would be at fault and would get in trouble.