Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

should Jay leno and Conan O'brien be fired too?

"Gov. Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it. -- "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," 9/2/08

Here's a 59 year old man making a joke about a 56 year old man raping a 17 year old girl.

or how about Conan O'Brien?

"Sarah Palin is going to drop the first puck at the Philadelphia Flyers' hockey game. Then Palin will spend the rest of the game trying to keep the hockey players out of her daughter's penalty box."

Her daughter, Piper was at that game. So here's a joke told by 46 year old man about an 8 year old girl who is almost raped by an entire hockey team.

Now where was all this self righteous outrage then?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is a major difference between Letterman's joke and the jokes you mentioned from Leno and Conan. Leno and Conan made their jokes during the Presidential campaign, at a time when Palin didn't need any help staying in the media spotlight. Nowadays, she needs to do whatever she can to ensure that she stays exposed, so she created a controversy based on Letterman's joke.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I don't approve of any of those "jokes" It's tough to say why one story makes the news and a similar one doesn't. Maybe Palin just got to the point where she'd heard enough, and finally decided to fight back.

Letterman is the furthest left of the late night guys, so that probably had something to do with the greater outrage directed at him.

I'm not sure I'd describe the outrage as "self righteous" though. I don't care for jokes like those, and often fast forward through the monologues of late night shows for that reason. Does that make me self righteous?

I'm not calling for any of them to be fired. People can vote on that with their remotes.

• Power
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Palin wants to blame everyone cause her daugher has made her look like a fool. She was out getting into everyone else's business before & even a grandchild has not been a big enough wake up call for her. Everyone knows he was upset cause that baby she claims is her is not hers but her 14 year old daughters. Have can a grown women in her 40's have a baby & not tell anyone until it is born. She went to work & yet no one knew & her parents & sis never knew she was pregnant & her daughter was out of school months before & after the birth of the child. Palin never did allow her med. records to be known. She even commented there was nothing there it would just show that she did not or did have children so this comment gave away that she was afraid they would see she was not pregnant with Trap.

• For wholly seperate reasons..Jay should just shuffle off to 'Retirement Village' and order the blue plate special, because he is NOT FUNNY, and Conan should make sure he's got Robert Smigel on board so he can continue to do his hilarious 'moving lips interviews' and feature

'Triumph, the insult comic dog'

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Leno rocks, Conan frikin rocks.

• 1 decade ago

I'm all for the kids being off limits but when you put yourself out there as being against something so much that you would impose it on others, and the message doesn't even reach your own child, you leave yourself open. Sorry.

• 1 decade ago

Thats actually a good idea, only a wacko finds making jokes about raping minors as funny but. If that is your idea of a good time, you should check out NAMBLA

• LG
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The Right Wing Conservative religious fanatics are just crazy. You can't explain logic to them. They are insane.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I see that the public representative for David Letterman is on yahoo Q and A now. Another fine example of a ticked off liberal keeping Sarah Palin in the news.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fox News didn't tell them to be outraged then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.