promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My ancestors came from sicily, is it possible i have Greek, Arab or Ethiopian in me from sicily?

I am just curious

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Ethiopians? No way. What happened was during the Italian-Ethiopian war in the late 1800s, some Sicilians brought home Ethiopian brides, which was looked down upon, and lead to other Italians and Italian-Americans ribbing Sicilians by saying "Sicily is close to Ethiopia". The chances of you having Ethiopian in you is extremely small, as there weren't that many Ethiopian brides, and many were actually sent back to Ethiopia.

Arabs? Most likely not. According to genetics, the Moors did not leave much of a genetic imprint on Sicily, it is over-bloated; furthermore, the Moors that had invaded Sicily were mostly Berbers and Spaniards that were forced/converted into Moors. The Arabs were a tiny minority.

Greeks? Yes! In fact, you're probably more Greek than anything. Sicily was colonized by Greece before the Roman Empire, and after the Roman Empire. In fact, there's still Greek speaking populations in Sicily and other parts of Italy.

Source(s): What I've learned in anthropology class in college
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes thats very likely. Sicily is a island that has a rich history in trading, and exploration from both Europeans, Asians and Africans alike. You could have traces of North African lineage all the way down to the Horn of Africa, or lineage just across the Red Sea to southern Arabia. Its very likely and i wouldnt rule anything out.

• 4 years ago

Sicily is an island off of the coast of Italy. in case you inspect Italy as being formed as a boot, Sicily may be west of the sharp toe of the boot. it is not a diverse usa, particularly purely a region of Italy (like the U.S. has the South, Midwest, and so on.).

• 1 decade ago

Of course it is possible, and perhaps Moor as well, after all the Moors did capture Sicily at one time. If your really interested have DNA testing done.

Source(s): Genealogical Researcher 35 + years
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. Sicily is the crossroads of the Mediterranean.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.