Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what are genetically modified foods?

i want it for a presentation.A detailed answer but in SIMPLE words will be GREAT.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Genetically modified foods are foods whose genes have been changed, to alter their characteristics. They have not been proved to be dangerous yet neither have they proved to be 100% safe.

New genes can be added to the plant, for example to make the plant produce more vitamins ( see golden rice --> wikipedia)

Or genes that are already in the plant could be blocked like the example below.

An example is the Flavr Savr tomato, the tomato plants were modified to prevent them producing a particular enzyme which makes the tomato go soft upon ripening. The genetically modified tomatoes did not go soft and so it was easier to pick them and therefore a better quality of tomato was shipped to suppliers. These tomatoes were said to tase better than non genetically modified tomatoes, although due to marketing failures the tomatoes are no longer available.

Source(s): Genetics and Agriculture Undergrad
  • 1 decade ago

They mess around with the inside of the food to make it bigger or grow faster or something like that. It's dangerous to eat that kind of food, they already banned it in other countries because it's so dangerous.

• 1 decade ago

Looks like Sam got it.

Anywho, can someone PLEASE help me on my Biology quiz...

it's only 7 questions AND multiple chioce...

I'm confused on it and it needs to be done like within 10 minutes...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AphV_...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.