Is it worth buying Nikon D80 now at $640 body only?

Hi, I am planning go buy a DSLR camera after my canon IXUS series P&S camera. I had great experience with my P&S camera. Now I want to just explore myself how good talent I have in photography which can help me relive from my all day hectic lifestyle. I love to take beautiful snaps of small insects, flowers... show more Hi,
I am planning go buy a DSLR camera after my canon IXUS series P&S camera.
I had great experience with my P&S camera.

Now I want to just explore myself how good talent I have in photography which can help me relive from my all day hectic lifestyle.

I love to take beautiful snaps of small insects, flowers and also sometime landscapes and portraits.
I am looking anything as a business it’s all for my passion.
I am a kinda confused between Nikon D40 and Nikon D80 kit cameras.

I am worried which one to opt since I will keep my camera at least for another 3 to 4 years. And want to make good collection of Lens for micro and Zoom.
So, please anyone who can give me unbiased solution would be much appreciated.
I did consider canon EOS 450D, I have some strong feeling Nikon would be a better buy compared to Canon for DSLR.

I am getting Nikon D40 for around $350 with 18-55mm ED kit lens and Nikon D80 for $800 with 18-135mm kit lens. This is the cheapest price compared to US pricing with warranty.
Update: Yes....I am planning to use and learn all manual setting so that I can take exceptionally better images than the normal Auto focus work. If I need to take everything on auto focus its better to stick to P&S rather than upgrading to DSLR. And one more thing...I just now saw Canon EOS 500D is almost $850 with kit... show more Yes....I am planning to use and learn all manual setting so that I can take exceptionally better images than the normal Auto focus work.
If I need to take everything on auto focus its better to stick to P&S rather than upgrading to DSLR.

And one more thing...I just now saw Canon EOS 500D is almost $850 with kit lens in US as I am planning to get Nikon D80.
What shall I do..??? Now confused...whether to stick to Nikon or Canon EOS 500D...
Any way I feel Live view and video recording is not the feature I am looking in a DSLR...