Some questions about... Amos the Prophet!?

Hello Yahoo answers, I have some religion homework and need you to answer a few questions about the prophet Amos.

1. What did Amos prophesy to the people of Israel?

2. How did they generally respond to what Amos prophesied, were they skeptical?

Update:

Dear christianity enthusiasts, I'm not interested in interpreting some religious nonsense. that's why i asked thanks ;]

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mouse
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Amos was a herdsman who lived in the village of Tekoa, before becoming a prophet during the reign of King Uzziah. Amos was not the first Bible prophet, but he was the first prophet to have his prophecies recorded in a separate book of the Bible, that being the book of Amos.

Amos prophesied about 760 BC during the reigns of King Uzziah of Judah, and Jeroboam II of Israel. He left Judah and went to Israel. He had a short ministry. Amos predicted the overthrow of Israel by the Assyrians. Historical hindsight shows us that roughly 30 years after Amos’ prophecy the Assyrians took the northern tribes into captivity (721 to 718 B.C.). At that time Israel ceased to function as a sovereign nation. He and also predicted the doom of Judah, and the doom of the surrounding nations (Syria, Gaza, Ammon and Moab) nations that anciently bordered Israel and Judah—and whose descendants remain in that general area even today.

In his prophecies against Israel, Amos spoke of the social sins of the day, such as greed, corruption, false worship, and injustice. His book ends with a scant hope that the people of Israel would listen and heed the warnings. But subsequent events sadly proved that the house of Israel paid little attention either to Amos or to the contemporary Hebrew prophet Hosea, also divinely sent to warn the country.

Hope this helps.

With Love in Christ,

Mouse

• 1 decade ago

Amos 1 (Amplified Bible) 9Thus says the Lord: For three transgressions of Tyre and for four [for multiplied delinquencies], I will not reverse the punishment of it or revoke My word concerning it, because they [as middlemen] delivered up a whole [Jewish] population to Edom and did not [seriously] remember their brotherly covenant.(G)

10So I will send a fire on the wall of Tyre which shall devour its strongholds.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

His whole book is only 9 chapters - see for yourself:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=amos%2...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There was a prophet named Anos? That's unfortunate.

• 1 decade ago

Try biblegateway.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.