promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Dysthymia asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why does the back of my cat's head smell so good?

No this isn't a joke.

It's not a recent thing, she's always smelled very nice (it's a sweet smell as in sugary sweet), but I've been wondering about it so I thought I'd ask.

She doesn't wear a flea collar, we don't put any sort of chemicals on her or give her baths. There aren't any chemicals out where she could get into them. She doesn't like catnip so we don't give her catnip toys so it isn't that.

Is there something about her saliva that makes her smell good? Is it dietary? Does anyone else have a sweet smelling cat?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

LOL, love this question! We have 2 cats. One smells like hell, even as soon as 2 days after her bath. We think she likes the litter box TOO much! But we are not sure why she smells so bad. Our other cat, OMG, he smells like a brand new stuffed animal!! I mean he always smells beautiful! Don't really know why one cat can smell so awful, and another so lovely, but since you KNOW your cat has no contact with chemicals, just enjoy, and be thankful! BTW we love both of our cats. Even our stinky one, lol!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

from what I've been told; cats have special "conditioners" on their tongues to keep them clean and stop them from smelling....

you may be sensitive to the very delicate scents of the "conditioners" and it may just be very appealing to you....

I should know cuz my own 6 cats each has a slightly different smell that I can smell and it's a very nice and relaxing smell that is close to my heart <3

or it could also be several things that maybe she's rubbing against like if you wear a scent then someone else in your household wears another scent, then maybe someone is cooking something sweet in the kitchen and her fur is picking up the cooking odors....while she's rubbing up against everyone....she could possibly be picking up several scents and they're mixing into one nice smell

Source(s): owned multiple cats for over 25 years
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hey I am here for the first time. I came across this question and I find the answers really valuable. I am hoping to give something back to the community and assist others too.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no but the back of my dog's head smells like lovely hickory smoke!

Weird huh?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

She might be rubbing her head on something in your house or outside.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

you know when i first got my cat i had the same thing happen.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe because that's the only part they can't lick???

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I think you may have a fetish...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.