Dysthymia asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why does the back of my cat's head smell so good?

No this isn't a joke.

It's not a recent thing, she's always smelled very nice (it's a sweet smell as in sugary sweet), but I've been wondering about it so I thought I'd ask.

She doesn't wear a flea collar, we don't put any sort of chemicals on her or give her baths. There aren't any chemicals out where she could get into them. She doesn't like catnip so we don't give her catnip toys so it isn't that.

Is there something about her saliva that makes her smell good? Is it dietary? Does anyone else have a sweet smelling cat?

Favorite Answer

LOL, love this question! We have 2 cats. One smells like hell, even as soon as 2 days after her bath. We think she likes the litter box TOO much! But we are not sure why she smells so bad. Our other cat, OMG, he smells like a brand new stuffed animal!! I mean he always smells beautiful! Don't really know why one cat can smell so awful, and another so lovely, but since you KNOW your cat has no contact with chemicals, just enjoy, and be thankful! BTW we love both of our cats. Even our stinky one, lol!

from what I've been told; cats have special "conditioners" on their tongues to keep them clean and stop them from smelling....

you may be sensitive to the very delicate scents of the "conditioners" and it may just be very appealing to you....

I should know cuz my own 6 cats each has a slightly different smell that I can smell and it's a very nice and relaxing smell that is close to my heart <3

or it could also be several things that maybe she's rubbing against like if you wear a scent then someone else in your household wears another scent, then maybe someone is cooking something sweet in the kitchen and her fur is picking up the cooking odors....while she's rubbing up against everyone....she could possibly be picking up several scents and they're mixing into one nice smell

Source(s): owned multiple cats for over 25 years

Hey I am here for the first time. I came across this question and I find the answers really valuable. I am hoping to give something back to the community and assist others too.

no but the back of my dog's head smells like lovely hickory smoke!

Weird huh?

She might be rubbing her head on something in your house or outside.

• ?

you know when i first got my cat i had the same thing happen.

Maybe because that's the only part they can't lick???

• ?

I think you may have a fetish...