what are the sign a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z means in physics?

i have a homework, and my techer tells me to find the sign meaning of each letter please help me to my homework..

thanks..

• Johnka
    Favorite Answer

a acceleratio

b breadth

c speed of light

d distance

e charge on electron

f F force

g acceleration due to gravity

h height

k constant

l length

m mass

n number

o

p momentum

q Q charge

r radius

s distance

t time

u initial velocity

v final velocity

w weight

x unknown

y unknown

z

The triangle symbol ∆ is called delta and it is usually used to represent the spread of a variable. An example is to be found in Heisenberg's uncertainty principle equation for momentum 'p' and position 'x': - ∆p.∆x ≥ ħ/2 When the triangle is upside-down then it is a differential operator. Unfortunately I cannot find an upside-down triangle in this edit box's font (Calibri), so i'll use a notation ∆↓for the upside-down triangle! For example, ∆↓ may be written down for coordinates 'x,y,z' and variable 'V', as: - ∆↓= ∂V/ ∂x + ∂V/∂y + ∂V/∂z or a double differential operator: - ∆↓²= ∂²V/ ∂x² + ∂²V/∂y² + ∂²V/∂z²

The letters, or pro-numerals, mean different things in varying contexts.

For example 'd' can refer to distance, or displacement in different circumstances. The trick is knowing when to use which symbol.

A few examples:

a=acceleration, c=centripetal (force), d=displacement, f=force, g=gravity, k=kinetic (energy), m=mass, t=time etc

These are the most common abbreviations found in physics.

Hope this helps :)

Do your own homework. :D

they're the alphabet