Steam Gift Card help?

Quoted from my steam help ticket

Hello there, I recently purchased an American Express gift card to purchase Garry's Mod. Having done this many times before to buy the Orange Box etc, I didn't expect any errors. However, this time it's been almost 4 hours since I purchased the gift card and it still gives me the "Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company." error.

I called AMEX to ask about it, and they said the transaction could not be made because they said the merchant information for VALVe is an international merchant based in the Netherlands. I'm pretty sure VALVe's in Washington, US, so of course I asked them to double check / do whatever they can to see what the problem is. In the end, they asked me to contact VALVe support.

Also, one of my dollars out of the 25 dollar card mysteriously dissapeared, which is annoying for me since I was planning the purchase of 2 Garry's Mod, one for a friend, and the discounted Red Orchestra. Having 4 dollars left over from buying 2 gmods isn't going to get me RO. Any ideas on that as well?

I just registered my name and address in another call to AMEX customer service. It still does not work.

Favorite Answer

thats a very common issue with those pre-paid visa cards/american express cards...

Right now, your funds are on hold by the bank, Steam hasnt charged it yet, but it seems like they have....

You are gonna have to wait till American Express releases the funds, this can take a few days...It sucks! it has happened to me several times, next time, the the Pre-Paid Visa cards, and u are able to register those cards to match your address and name so their wont be any issues when u buy something online.

im having this problem too, i got a $50 gift card for christmas and i get the same error. i believe its because there servers are being slow because everyones buying stuff and redeeming gift cards on steam. being gamers we dont have much patience for these kinds of things haha but in this case we dont really have a choice. id wait till tomorrow. if it lets me put my code in ill come back to your question and tell you that its working again. Merry christmas!

You can buy Steam gift cards for use in the US and internationally for the US store from http://www.gamecarddelivery.com/ Steam gift cards are sold in $20 and $50 increments.

Same thing happened to me. I waited a bit longer and it worked eventually