John 1:1 Do you know it?

Who can qoute John1:1 correctly?

Favorite Answer

1808: "and the word was a god." The New Testament in an Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome's New Translation: With a Corrected Text.

1864: "and a god was the word." The Emphatic Diaglott, interlinear reading, by Benjamin Wilson.

1928: "and the Word was a divine being." La Bible du Centenaire, L'Evangile selon Jean, by Maurice Goguel.

1935: "and the Word was divine." The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed.

1946: "and of a divine kind was the Word." Das Neue Testament, by Ludwig Thimme.

1950: "and the Word was a god." New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures.

1958: "and the Word was a God." The New Testament, by James L. Tomanek.

1975: "and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word." Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz.

1978: "and godlike kind was the Logos." Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider.

"an unnamed JW just sent me a hate-o-gram accusing me of having a "bad mouth" because I wrote the word "darn."

"Darn" is a euphemism for "da_n." Yes, Suzy has a bad mouth. Do JWs deny the deity of Jesus? Not at all. "Deity" can mean God or a godlike person. Jesus is a god. (John 1:1) He is also called "Mighty God" at Isa. 9:6. The angels are also called gods at Ps. 8:5. Satan is called a god at 2 Cor. 4:4. Even humans are called gods at Ps. 82:6. Suzy needs an accurate Bible study ASAP. UNBLOCK ME, Suzy! I can help you.

BTW, I didn't say Suzy is bad. I just said she has a bad mouth.

In the beginning was Logos (I use the Greek here because 'word' is not correct and there is no English equivalent), and Logos was with God and Logos was God, Logos was present to God in the beginning.

The reason I do not use 'word' is that Logos does not mean a written or spoken word. Logos is properly the conceptualization that comes before action. For example, if you wish to say the word cat, a certain mental process occurs. You may see a cat in your mind's eye, or remember a certain feline sound or smell, but it is that mental activity which is Logos, not when you finally move your lips and tongue and create the sounds to say 'cat'.

[added]

A far superior translation would be:

In beginning, concept, the concept was with divinity, the concept was divine, the concept was [of the nature/present-to] divine beginning.

-------

Thumbs up for all the Christians who don't know their Greek and translate 'Logos' as 'Word' -- Woohoo!

Darn ... Chris beat me to it!

"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God."

EDIT: ROFL, an unnamed JW just sent me a hate-o-gram accusing me of having a "bad mouth" because I wrote the word "darn." What hypocrisy! He denies the deity of Yeshua, yet I'M the "bad" one!

Obtain a Bible, open it to John 1:1, and you'll find it in its original and correct form.

• Esther

In the beginning was the Word; the Word was with God and the Word was God.

• Olaf

In the beginning there was thought and thought was in God and God was thought.

The same was in God - in the beginning!